New Sulcata and Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
No, it doesn't have to be organic. And remember, any light that you put over screen will have its rays filtered. You want the light shining down on him directly, with no screen, or surface separating it from him.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Now I'm hearing the rubber tubs are more of a fire hazard and that really worries me. I tried to load some pic's but they won't load I have dial up so I guess my computers to slow. I may be able to email directly. Remember he's not in the 55 Gal all the time he goes outside when its warm enough and I have a kids pool I plan on setting up for a exercise area in the winter time and I'm going to try to grow some grass in a cat litter box for him to graze on in the winter. Hopefully I can get my husband to build a tortiose table in the future.
Sue

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Sue...stop worrying about the rubbermaid tub catching on fire. That's just gossip from idiots. Many keepers that I know are using a rubbermaid tub. We wouldn't recommend them if they weren't safe. They are made from hard rubber or plastic(polypropylene) and they don't burn. Besides you're not going to put the CHE or bulb directly on the tub. I also wouldn't use a screen, it filters the rays and that's not good and a screen just isn't needed. Why don't you pop into Bi Mart and look at the tubs they have.
I have raised several tortoises in large aquariums over the years. It is easier to maintain a consistent temperature for one thing.. I buy the broken or cracked tanks from the local pet store. I have never noticed a problem with air flow (sorry Patsy)...
I personally would continue to use the aquarium. I realize that many keepers say aquariums are bad, but I disagree. I take a sheet of newspaper and fold it until it's about 7 inches wide and I tape that all around the bottom of the tank so the tortoise can't see out into the room, and that prevents them from stressing out trying to get thru the glass into the other room they can see.
Sue email me off list if you want and I will give you my Vet's phone number...if you come up here for her we'll have to get together for pie and coffee...

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
maggie3fan said:
Hey Sue...stop worrying about the rubbermaid tub catching on fire. That's just gossip from idiots. Many keepers that I know are using a rubbermaid tub. We wouldn't recommend them if they weren't safe. They are made from hard rubber or plastic(polypropylene) and they don't burn. Besides you're not going to put the CHE or bulb directly on the tub. I also wouldn't use a screen, it filters the rays and that's not good and a screen just isn't needed. Why don't you pop into Bi Mart and look at the tubs they have.
I have raised several tortoises in large aquariums over the years. It is easier to maintain a consistent temperature for one thing.. I buy the broken or cracked tanks from the local pet store. I have never noticed a problem with air flow (sorry Patsy)...
I personally would continue to use the aquarium. I realize that many keepers say aquariums are bad, but I disagree. I take a sheet of newspaper and fold it until it's about 7 inches wide and I tape that all around the bottom of the tank so the tortoise can't see out into the room, and that prevents them from stressing out trying to get thru the glass into the other room they can see.
Sue email me off list if you want and I will give you my Vet's phone number...if you come up here for her we'll have to get together for pie and coffee...

Maggie I can't email right now the default email this goes to is messing up and not the one I use so with out the address it won't go threw. I need to figure out how to change it. I think Hermen is doing better but it would be nice to know your vet for the future and get together sometime. Bob is really neat and I just love Queeny what a neat color.
I have another question, I thought a ceramic heat emitter might be better them a red night light, do they put out more heat?
Sue

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
welcome tortie gal! ;) glad you made it

Listen to these guys - they know what they are talking about. Trust me!

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
janiedough said:

Hi Janiedough! Good to have this forum I'm learning a lot. Hermen seems to be doing better It looks like he's going to be ok.
Thanks

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
TortieGal said:
janiedough said:

Hi Janiedough! Good to have this forum I'm learning a lot. Hermen seems to be doing better It looks like he's going to be ok.
Thanks

anytime, I am glad my aunt sent me your craig's list ad

Status
Not open for further replies.