New Sulcata Tortoise owner with a silly question.

Kwitcherbytchn

Location (City and/or State)
I have read many threads on here about what is safe and what is toxic tof eat. I found a great website with pictures of what they can and cannot eat. I live in Arizona and we have a crazy amount of weeds and grass that grows year round. It's hard to identify some of them since most grass the same to me, and weeds are all mingled together. My question is pretty straight forward, will my little tort know what's safe to eat via his instincts?

Loritort

No he will not know what's safe unfortunately. You have to stay on top of this as his keeper. Welcome to the forum, btw:)

Kwitcherbytchn

Thank you. I'm going to start making an outside spot for him and I'll be planting my own stuff. He's to little to be outside, we have hawks and feral cats around .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have read many threads on here about what is safe and what is toxic tof eat. I found a great website with pictures of what they can and cannot eat. I live in Arizona and we have a crazy amount of weeds and grass that grows year round. It's hard to identify some of them since most grass the same to me, and weeds are all mingled together. My question is pretty straight forward, will my little tort know what's safe to eat via his instincts?

You will find people that say yes to this question. They opine that tortoises have survived for millions of years without our help, and that their tortoises choose not eat eat some toxic plants some of the time. I've seen a lot of dead tortoises that didn't make such wise choices and chose to eat the wrong things. The answer is that sometimes, in some situations, the tortoises will not eat the wrong plants. In other situations, they will.

The safe way to go is: Don't give them the choice. Prevent access to any weed or plant that you don't know. There are so many edible plants… Why risk it with an unknown?

If you post pics here, we can sometimes help ID weeds. You can also take samples to a local plant nursery and there is usually a weed expert there than can help you ID everything.

Also, since you are new here, hello and welcome!
There is a lot of misinformation out in the world about the care for this species, so please give these a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Last edited:

Loritort

What is up what that user name? At first I thought it was russian but upon closer examination I see it isn't. Cute, real cute!