New Terrarium Needed

BrunoTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a Testudo tortoise, and he's gotten pretty big over the past year. He's 9 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 2.5 inches tall. Our terrarium is definitely not big enough now. Can I have some suggestions?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet, so you’re going to have to build a tortoise table.

BrunoTheTortoise

Florida
Your in Florida. Why isn't he living outside? Build him a large outdoor enclosure.
My old enclosure was an outdoor terrarium. However, while changing his food, I saw a couple of worms, ants, and spiders. I was scared my tortoise would confuse the worms for food since they were right under his bowl. So we moved him inside to avoid any accidents.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the wild they live with bugs. Fire ants can be a problem but even those that have them have their torts outside. They just use more natural animal safe ways to rid them. A worm here or there won't hurt, and unless it's a deadly spider to humans or other animals, they aren't a concern either. I have lots of spiders and regular ants inside the torts shed and out. The best place for your tort is outside.

BrunoTheTortoise

Florida
In the wild they live with bugs. Fire ants can be a problem but even those that have them have their torts outside. They just use more natural animal safe ways to rid them. A worm here or there won't hurt, and unless it's a deadly spider to humans or other animals, they aren't a concern either. I have lots of spiders and regular ants inside the torts shed and out. The best place for your tort is outside.
Ok, I'll take your advice. One more question though, last year in Florida, the temp. at night dropped to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I read that the coolest a tortoise terrarium should be is around the mid 70s. How do I make sure that my tortoise is warm enough? Thanks for the answers!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok, I'll take your advice. One more question though, last year in Florida, the temp. at night dropped to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I read that the coolest a tortoise terrarium should be is around the mid 70s. How do I make sure that my tortoise is warm enough? Thanks for the answers!

60 and above is fine for night temps, as long as they can warm up the next day. However, you may want to consider making a heated night box to put him in every night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with TechnoCheese. For some species the 60's are too low and for all species babies it's too low.
For your adult tort it's not too low. But you can bring him in at night too sleep or build a heated night box if you would feel better about him not being in that low of temps.