New to Forum and Tortoises :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmzie

5 Year Member
Hi everyone

My name is Chris and I am happy to be a part of this forum. I am currently considering buying my first tortoise within the next 3 months. The reason I joined this site is I have always had an interest in owing a tortoise. Before I go out and buy one I really wanted to train and research every aspect about owning one before I just go out and buy one.

I figured an informative forum such as this would be a great place to help get educated on the subject.

I am 25 years old and I am not one to just jump into something without first properly knowing what is required and what to expect.

As far as a which tortoise to get I was leaning more towards the Russian Tortoise. Reason being I understand they do not get as big as say a leopard, which would make it a little easier for me I think when first getting into owning a tortoise.

Any insight on a good beginner tortoise or any first time advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I live in Canada so I do get long winters. I will be building a custom enclosure for indoor and once the warmer seasons roll around I will also have a custom outdoor enclosure.

Thanks for accepting me into your community and I hope to learn a lot and down the road hopefully be able to help others.

Cheers :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Russians are a great choice. So are hermanns. Testudo hermanni. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Welcome. I think its great that you are wanting to be educated on your first tort before getting one. Of course we all make mistakes at times. But I must say that this forum is the best resource for information that I have found. There are so many people here with so much experience. And I must say they are very careing about you and your tort. So with that said, good luck to you...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You found the best place to educate yourself and to get any help you may need, now or after you get your new friend. The Russian and what Tom mentioned have all been said to be great first torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Chris!!

Elmzie

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the warm welcomes :)

Good to know there are a lot of people who care and want me to succeed in owning a tortoise. I am in the process of purchasing a house, so I am hoping by around Christmas time I will have my enclosure built and furnished and all my materials ready and a breeder lined up for my new family member. I will post a picture when the time comes of my enclosure and a list of everything used and what is in it. Before I actually put the tortoise in it I will show everyone what I have for it and hopefully any input pro/cons will be given which I am sure will be. I just want the perfect set up for it.

Thanks again :)

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome!

Russian tortoises sure do have lots of personality. They make a great choice because they do not require as much space as some of the larger species and usually they are not very picky and will eat Just about anything you give them :)

DIZZIE

5 Year Member
Good luck, I'm in the same boat you are and am leaning toward a Hermanns or Redfoot.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Chris! Sounds like a Russian is exactly what your looking for. It may be a little harder for you to locate a tortoise for sale, since your in Canada. Good luck in the search for the actual tortoise once it starts. :tort:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! I love all my lil ruskies, great tort to work with. Big personality in a small package

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
I think it's great Chris that you are trying to learn as much as possible before buying your first tortoise. Although I myself only have one Greek tortoise I believe that the relationship I have had with Oogway is one of the most rewarding ever. I hope that you find all the answers to your questions and answers to the questions you don't even know to ask yet. Russians and Hermanns are great choices because they don't grow too large and seeing how you live in Canada I imagine they will be in their indoor enclosure for the majority of the year. Whichever tortoise you chose and or decide is right for you there are so many amazing people here to help. I hope you enjoy it here on Tortoise Forum and WELCOME!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.