New To Forum... Baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfs956

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TEXAS
what up people. Like the tittle says im new to this forum. From what I believe this is my two year old sulcata. I've had it for about a year and a half, it measures 2" 1/2 in length and 2" in width. I had it in a 25 gallon tank and just recently made a tortoise table twice the size of the tank it was in. I was noticing that my tortoise hadn't grown since I purchased it. That was the reason for enclosure change plus I know they dont belong in a tank. If you all have any comments or suggestions feel free.

These are some of the most recent pix of our sulcata "STEWIE "
DSC03335.jpg

DSC03326.jpg

DSC03325.jpg

This pic is when we first got her... not much of a difference..
676A0077-1.jpg

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Welcome! There's much valuable information and helpful people on this forum. If you haven't read it yet, look for Tom's post on raising hatchling sulcatas. Lots of great advice in there.

Oh, and if you want suggestions please post much more info about diet, temps, lights, humidity and other habits (e.g. soaking & time outside).

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I'm not sure about his growth, but his shell is very smooth! Maybe he hasn't had his growth spurt yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi nfs956:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I have a couple of concerns that may help towards Stewie's growth. I don't think he's warm enough, and I prefer the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) UV lights for baby sulcatas.

Read Tom's thread (link shown in above post) and make some adjustments to your tortoise care, and I think Stewie will take off in growth!

Thanks for sharing pictures with us. Your new habitat is just gorgeous.

nfs956

5 Year Member
TEXAS
Jacob said:

No.. thats what it measures in length... and 2" in width.. Its about 2yrs old and we bought her from the pet store about a year and a half ago.

Thanks for all the feed back and comments...

emysemys said:
Hi nfs956:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I have a couple of concerns that may help towards Stewie's growth. I don't think he's warm enough, and I prefer the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) UV lights for baby sulcatas.

Read Tom's thread (link shown in above post) and make some adjustments to your tortoise care, and I think Stewie will take off in growth!

Thanks for sharing pictures with us. Your new habitat is just gorgeous.

Hi the name is larry... For stewie's basking light I am using the zoo med repti basking spot lamp. Which provides UVA rays. Its 100 watt bulb in which my lamp has a dimmer. Thats the basking lamp on the Warm side, and on the Cool side Im using a 18" florecent tube light that gives out UVB and UVA rays. let me know if you have any suggestions on changes that need to be made.

Laura said:
shell looks good..
tell us what you feed, any time outside, temps, lights.

her time outside is very minimal. and when we do take her outside its for about half an hr to graze. her main diet is romaine lettuce, and second to that is cactus. also to mention we feed it grass at times. every otherf month we switch up food and give her crushed carrots apples and zucchini and a sprinkle of calcium on top of that.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
Hi, Welcome. Stewie is cute. Cool color. Wow, he is small for his age because I have two 19 weeks old or 4 months old hatchlings who are about 2.5 inches long. I'm glad he is now in a bigger enclosure. I have my baby torts in a 55 gallon tank. There is so much to learn about hatchlings but at the same time, we enjoy having them. Take care.

Marcel

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Your basking bulb only puts out UVA your tort needs both UVA/UVB to help with calcium the florescent tube bulb does not put out enough for a sully you should witch to a MVB an take him out doors for some sunshine it will help a lot :)

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
marinaresident said:
Hi, Welcome. Stewie is cute. Cool color. Wow, he is small for his age because I have two 19 weeks old or 4 months old hatchlings who are about 2.5 inches long. I'm glad he is now in a bigger enclosure. I have my baby torts in a 55 gallon tank. There is so much to learn about hatchlings but at the same time, we enjoy having them. Take care.

Marcel

By the way, even though he is small, he has a beautiful 'smooth' shell. One of my hatchlings has pyramided when I bought him but he is now receiving better care from me by keeping him fed and hydrated in a humid aquarium tank with moist/wet coco coir substrate....Thanks to Tom's helpful and informative threads.

Marcel

nfs956

5 Year Member
TEXAS
marinaresident said:

Marcel

yes i knw hopefully the new enclosure will make a big diffrence in size.and im trying to make things better for it.this site looks like alot of help so we'll see how it goes.theres always things to learn with these babys.

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
Welcome to the forum cant wait to see more pics of when your baby is bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.