New to forum- need help w/ baby sulcata

Zach B

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and could really use some help.

I already have an adult Sulcata that we rescued after it was abandoned. I'm happy to say she is thriving in our backyard here in Phoenix.

Just before Xmas, a coworker dropped a baby sulcata on our doorstep. Unfortunately it was kept in a dry aquarium, heat bulb and spring mix only. It was severely underweight, only 19 gm. Its plastron was soft and it wouldn't open its eyes or walk. I began soaking it twice daily, ket it in a humid tub with a basking spot of 105F. I also began placing it in a dish with a paste made of crushed tums, grass and opuntia. After 2 days he finally began to eat. Now 1 month later he is very active, is eating diced opuntia mixed with grass and Dandelion greens. He seems to have a decent appetite, but to date he had only gained 3 gm. What can I do to help him gain weight and get back on track? Or is he too stunted to recover? Any advice would help!

Zach

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I don't have the experience to offer much, but wanted to say nice job. It takes time with tortoises. I am not sure a month is very long. How is his shell now? Mazuri might be a good option too.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Just keep feeding as much as he can eat. Are you soaking him daily?

Zach B

5 Year Member
Yes, still soaking daily and he comes out of the water hungry. I was just hoping he'd be putting on the weight a little faster at this point.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
He had a pretty rough start so it might take a while before you see any significant gains. And then there is the possibility that the initial damage was too much and he may have stunted growth. Time will tell but keep doing what works for you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Zack welcome to the TFO from Phx. You might want to cut down on the opuntia cause when I feed it to my tortsit gives my torts a watery poo . And that might help put on a little wait . But you have done a great job .

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome can you post any pictures

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Find a feed store (horse and cattle food) that sells Purina products and ask them if they will order some Mazuri Tortoise Diet for you. A big bag won't be wasted, since you also have a larger tortoise. The Mazuri helps put weight on a tortoise, give him a little more substance to a greens only diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to TFO! Keep ding what you're doing plus some outside time . It should come around.

Zach B

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I picked up some mazuri and moistened it with water, he seems to like it. His appetite is really good and I saw him drinking several times today , I'm assuming this is a good sign. He is very active over the last couple days
.image.jpg Of course this is him eating some chopped opuntia a few days ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Zach B

5 Year Member
I want to thank everyone for your advice. Topper is doing great! 2 months after taking him home and he has grown from 18 gm to 40 gm! He has a great appetite and is very active. Not too bad for a little guy that was so weak/dehydrated he wouldn't open his eyes! He is going to be behind the growth curve for a while but we have been taking him outside in the sun for 30 min 3 times a week and he is thriving. Here are some before and after picks, the first is when we got him, he was 18 gm at 7 months old, the second was taken today 9 months and 40 gm.

Attachments

• photo-6 copy.JPG
    photo-6 copy.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 23
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 24

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great job Zach! Just goes to show you that proper " everything " and lots of TLC that you really can make a major difference in these ' lil guys!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and for a late Welcome! ! !