New to forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos, Ca
Hi. We are new tortoise owners and new to the forum. We have a young yellow foot we bought from LLL yesterday for my daughters. We also have a bearded dragon for my son. I have owned reptiles most of my life but I am new to tortoises.

Is it normal for them to hiss a little when you try to pet or hold them. We have some care books but most don't go into the the break in time when they are trying to settle into their new home. Any feedback on this would be good. I do not want to stress the little guy out. Especially with two girls who just want to hold him or her all the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The "hiss" you hear is caused by the tortoise pulling into his shell quickly, which causes the air to be pushed out of his lungs. It is a normal reaction to something that has startled the tortoise.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Welcome to the Forum.

When they pull in their shell they make a sort of hissing sound, it is the air expelling from them as they withdraw, I bet that is what you are hearing. For hatchlings (all new tortoises really) they like to hide a lot, sometimes for a few days, other times for a month or more, every tortoise is different and they all take change differently. It is probably best to give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings and the noises that come with, once she is comfortable she will stomp around her enclosure.

You should also post pictures of your enclosure and your tortoise, everyone here loves pics and it will also help out experts/experienced users with giving you advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The other thing I would like to add to what was already said, is, toss the books and search out your info on this forum. Most info in those books are old and outdated and bad info.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Thank you all for your input. I will do some additional searches as well.

Here is a pic of our start at an enclosure. I have a fogger that we will use to keep humidity up with a lid with ventilation. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376009875.916651.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376009891.556056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your light might be up a bit too high to get the warmth you need at ground level.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Thank you. I put a digital therm there and it is in the high 90's. reading the forum I see a lot about Che's being used instead of bright basking lights. Should I switch to that? Also have to figure out a top that will help with humidity levels. I was going to cut the lid to let in the light but where or how to cut is where I am stuck. Do I cut off the back half length wise and cover the front or some other design?

Status
Not open for further replies.