new to site, new to tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

5 Year Member
Hey all my name is Darryl from Boston. I just recently rescued a severely neglected sulcata tortoise from a very inexperienced keeper nearby. Being new to tortoises myself, I did as much research as I could and consulted my herp vet about him. he was riddled with parasites, hookworms and protozone, and really underweight. I got him to a vet and treated. Had him eating like crazy. Feeding him iceberg lettuce. Which I know sulcatas digestive systems are only designed to breakdown grasses and hay, from my understanding, and that is why they develop the pyramids on their shells from eating greens. Because they are just not designed to be able to break down protiens and calcium, etc. I give him regular baths once a week. I was told by my vet to keep feeding him greens while he's still small, but that one day, I will have to play hardball with him and start only offering hay until he gets hungry enough to eat it. Well Mojo, as I call him, stopped eating suddenly a few days ago and seems really sluggish all of a sudden. And today when I gave him his bath and cleared his poop (he has trouble pooping, it gets stuck on his shell) he started releasing this really thick yellowish liquid before the urates. Is that normal? Any ideas or even general advise in keeping in general will be greatly appreciated. My vet is only in on Saturdays and I'll be freaking out till then. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Darryl:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Don't worry about feeding grasses and hay for right now. Here's a nice list of different types of greens and plants you can feed your new sulcata:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1n85T5GVo

You probably don't have to worry about the yellow discharge. You might see all kinds of stuff that doesn't look right until he gets his system reorganized to the good diet and water. Because he's come from poor conditions, put him into a nice warm tub of water every day for the first couple months. After that you can go to once a week.

Incidentally, the pyramiding isn't from his poor diet. Its from being kept too dry during his first year. I'm sure the diet has something to do with the shape of the scutes around the tail, but mostly is poor hydration.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome... i dont know what you read before coming here.. but start reading here. Its updated and current and a lot of the Old beliefs and have been proven wrong..
How old is your tort? can you post pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.