New to site!

karabeth316

Hello I am so excited to join this site. I have been researching Russian Tortoises for about a month, and just got one from the pet store!! He seems to be doing well, I know it"s a big change. How long should I wait to give him his first soak? Anything else I should do now he is home? I have his table set up and he explored for a bit, then buried in his substrate. Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning from you all! Kara, Northern Indiana.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Soaking is beneficial all around. Especially for little ones, so how old is yours? We loves photos.quite a few Russian keepers here too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I would give him a nice long 20-30 minute warm water soak now and every day for the next week. Then you can taper off to about once a month or a little more. Most likely has hasn't had one at all yet since arriving at the store or much before then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, he is most likely wild caught and probably 5-7 guesstimate years old, so give him some time to get used to his new home.
If it is a baby it should adjust sooner.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum ! !

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to tfo

Got any pics? That's the best way for us to help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kara, and welcome to the Forum!

I know you said you've already got the tort table, but a bit of a caution for you - most tort tables you buy are not big enough for Russian tortoises, and Russian tortoises sold in pet stores are almost full grown. Try to figure out a way to set this tortoise up in a safe and secure outdoor habitat and you'll have a happy tortoise.

karabeth316

Lol I like the picture! Edgar and I thank you. I built my table out of a rubbermaid container. I know I will need a bigger one but seems okay for now. At least till he is settled in. He is right at the 4 inch mark, so not sure how old. I did give him two baths and boy did he potty!! That is why I gave him two haha. His substrate is 50-50 coir from pet-store and sand. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429308364.757891.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429308388.249695.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429308408.820430.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to tortoise forum to you and your lovely tortoise, Kara.
The bigger the better for his enclosure.
Yeah they often go toilet in their bath, it's fine.
Read the threads listed under Wellington's message for lots of helpful information.
And welcome to the wonderful world of tortoise keeping.