New to the African Sulcata world & the forum. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevguam

5 Year Member
RE: New to the African Sulcata world & the forum. Help!

hi welcome im a newbie to i have owned my little guy/girl for about a month now

Shanook

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
What happened to her brother? You do know that she is too little to sex? She is most probably a male. Add some stuff to her tank, rocks, branches, stuff to play with and climb on and over. She needs a water dish, you can use the clay saucers found under plant pots. Most importantly she needs a UVB light that is not on a screen as the UVB rays cannot go thru a small screen like yours. Are you using a coil bulb? if so stop immediately as they damage tortoises eyes. Leave the light on for 12 to 14 hours a day. Also she needs night time heat, I use a black light bulb. I used to get them from Kmart but they just recently stopped selling them, so now I am hunting them again. Most are 60 or 75 watts. Try the big box stores like Home Depot. Maybe a small hardware store in your town might have them. You want to try for 80% humidity and soak her every day for about 10 to 15 minutes in warm water...the temp like warm baby water. Put her half log against the side of the tank, with it's end against the side. They want a safe secure place to sleep. Try //africantortoise.com/ for a good diet. I am glad you found us, please keep asking questions we don't mind. And pictures are good...

;)

Well her brother is in Cali w/ my friend. I want to add more stuff, but am scared. she wants to climb everything, but flips over on to her back. I had no idea she was too young for sexing. If she is a he, he will have a pretty name! Ya the pic I posted was actually an older one. She now has a water bowl, the light hangs down in her tank. It is not a coil bulb it is a reptisun. Thx for letting me know, I jus bought a black light for 8 bucks, at petco! I feel ripped off now. I actually have been soaking her everyday for 20 minutes. I placed her half log like you said, she already seems to be loving it so much more! Thx a bunch for that. I will definitely go to that site, I know I would be tired of lettuce all day everyday. THANK YOU so much for breaking it all down for me! I will add photos once I am done hooking her tank up. Again thank you.

kevguam said:
hi welcome im a newbie to i have owned my little guy/girl for about a month now

Ya that's about how long I have had her for! I love having her around.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Welcome! I am new to the site as well. I have also learned a lot! Lucy is really cute!

~C

Status
Not open for further replies.