New to the turtle ? world

Brandy198686

Location (City and/or State)
Mauldin
My fiance brought me this little girl last night he found her I tried to let her go but went back after a few hours of sitting her out by the woods and she was still there so I decided to bring her back in and keep her a while I'm pretty sure she is a western box turtle but just curious to find anything new out about her I can. Thanks... Oh yeah and she doesn't have one of her eyes it looked like mid caked on it but I splashed a little warm water on it and I'm pretty sure it's missing

16156621026685896455257098087101.jpgIMG_20210313_134347774.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My fiance brought me this little girl last night he found her I tried to let her go but went back after a few hours of sitting her out by the woods and she was still there so I decided to bring her back in and keep her a while I'm pretty sure she is a western box turtle but just curious to find anything new out about her I can. Thanks... Oh yeah and she doesn't have one of her eyes it looked like mid caked on it but I splashed a little warm water on it and I'm pretty sure it's missing
This is an eastern box turtle. You really shouldn't remove them from the wild. Not very many survive to breeding size and it takes years. So removing just one adult can make a big dent on the native population. It would be best to release it close to where you found it. If you do want one there is plenty of breeders offering captive bred box turtles.

Brandy198686

Mauldin
This is an eastern box turtle. You really shouldn't remove them from the wild. Not very many survive to breeding size and it takes years. So removing just one adult can make a big dent on the native population. It would be best to release it close to where you found it. If you do want one there is plenty of breeders offering captive bred box turtles.
Wow!! Definitely trying to help this INJURED turtle who would've been smashed by a car had we not rescued her.... I'm pretty sure helping her like I have hasn't dented anything....matter of fact saved her from being dented in by a car ...but anyways some people know everything I guess

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

We're only trying to give you good advice about the turtle. Your eastern box turtle will have a very difficult time acclimating to being a captive turtle. Most of them taken from the wild don't make it. When you see one in a dangerous situation in the wild, you should move it out of danger, but leave it in its territory. Box turtles have a very strong homing instinct and when moved out of their territory spend the rest of their life trying to get back to where they belong.

You did what you thought was good for the turtle, but now that you know better, I hope you'll do the right thing and put it back where it came from.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... many people rescue Eastern Box turtles from the road in the Spring like this. Temperatures are on the rise and the turtles get moving looking for a mate. Ive often passed one by on the way to work only to be saddened to see it squished on my return home.

Theres a whole section on turtles here on TFO & lots of info how to take care. First thing i would do right now is to give it a good soak in warm water & read the section on Box Turtles. Maybe you can set up a nice large safe space in your back yard garden. Bugs, grass, worms.....

Good luck.

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Hi Brandy. Welcome. Everyone here means well. The fact that you saved him/her from the road is great (I actually 'saved' a silver dollar sized baby eastern box a couple of years ago too) but as they are endangered in the wild that's why you hear some of us express concern. I like Mark's advice, above, as short term solution before you find a safe spot to turn it loose. Just note that boxies from the wild will sometimes stop eating in captivity. The farm raised ones, however, are little pigs. Welcome again and good luck to both of you.