New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Chicago Suburb
Hello everyone! I am new here & am so excited to have other turtle owning "friends" to talk to now :)
I have an American box turtle named Daisy. She is around 16-17 yrs old. I have had her for 10+ yrs. She was living with my cousin for the past year and I just recently got her back. She doesn't look so good :( her nails are super long, as well as her beak, she's missing a toe on each of her front feet and she has lost a lot of her bright coloring and weight. She has always hibernated during winter, while in my care, but there is NO WAY I'm letting her this winter, she's just not healthy enough. We have a vet appointment this Wednesday so, wish us luck. I look forward to nursing her back to health. Any thoughts, suggestions or comments about how to keep her moving would be appreciated. Her eyes and "ears" look good, no swelling, no discharge from her nose either. I am very hopeful :)
We live in Illinois
image-2732456864.png

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* I was just asking you on another thread, if you had made yourself an intro thread and I see you have. Sometimes having a few rocks to climb over will help the nails. For the beak about the same thing feed her on a flat rock, a slate, or in an unglazed terra cotta plant saucer to help wear the beak naturally. She may not like carrots, but one of those given whole to gnaw on once a month is good or even sweet corn still on the cob.

How warm are you keeping her? Lights (if so how long and how bright)?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Glad she's back with you. Lots of outdoor time in the spring will help a lot too.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
Laura said:
Is she eating? what is her diet? temps..
get her some big juicy night crawlers at a fish bait shop..

She is eating and drinking. I feed her a mix of veggies like romaine lettuce, dandelion greens, broccoli, etc., fruits and she LOVES big juicy night crawlers!!! She has a 75watt basking spotlight that I keep on 10 hours a day, a Repti Glo 15w 5.0UVB terrarium lamp that I never shut off and her enclosure is 75-80. Not sure about the humidity right now because the meter is broke. I spray her house with water daily and I have been soaking her every other day for about 15 min. She puts herself in her water dish whenever she feels like it too. She is doing better then when I first got her back a week ago so I'm hopeful. Is there anyway to get the yellow colors she had in her shell to come back? They seem to have faded away.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
Jacqui said:
Hi! *waves* I was just asking you on another thread, if you had made yourself an intro thread and I see you have. Sometimes having a few rocks to climb over will help the nails. For the beak about the same thing feed her on a flat rock, a slate, or in an unglazed terra cotta plant saucer to help wear the beak naturally. She may not like carrots, but one of those given whole to gnaw on once a month is good or even sweet corn still on the cob.

How warm are you keeping her? Lights (if so how long and how bright)?

Thanks for those tips. She unfortunately does not like carrots but I have never tried corn on the cob, so I will!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kjturtlegirl:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I'm so glad you got your box turtle back home with you. I'm sure the previous care-giver meant well, but not everyone is cut out to be a turtle/tortoise care-giver. To have been in your family for such a long time speaks highly of your turtle skills. She'll be back healthy again in no time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Box turtles are a favorite of mine, glad to have you aboard.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
I really want to get another box turtle but am concerned that my current one might not take to it so well. My 16ish yr old, girl Daisy has never been around another turtle before. Can I get a 2nd box turtle and put it in the enclosure with her? Should I get a boy or girl? Does it matter what sex the next one is? If it's a baby can they be in the same space? Any/all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.