New to the forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, MO
:tort:

Hello! My name is Honey, and I'm a new member to this forum. For a few months, I've read through quite a few threads and topics, and I've learned quite a lot from a ton of experts here!

I am the lucky owner of a yearling Sulcata, who is named Sheldon. I appreciate the chance to learn a lot more, and also to be an active member of this forum.

Thank you! :D

This is Sheldon! (Hope it shows the picture - if not, I'll try again.)
Sheldon nomming.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Thank you both! I squealed and giggled when I noticed the little bubble in his mouth in that picture. He has definitely stolen my heart. <3 He really loves to nom on grass in our front yard... lol.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

That's a cute littl guy you got there! Do you know how big he's going to get? you should read "The Sulcata Challange" http://turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm

BTW, I once put up a building in your town. It was a Hardware Store and Lumber Yard, I don't remember it's name, but the Motel we stayed in was next to a BBQ place called "Dixie-Doo BBQ". Is it still there? BEST BBQ EVER!!! (I LOVE BBQ and have tried evey place I pass that has it... Dixie-Doo BBQ is the best I've ever had and that was 16 years ago)

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
@ Zamric - Thank you! To answer your questions - yes, I know how big he can get... I'm prepared (well, as much as one thinks they can be!). We own our home, and the backyard/garage will eventually be his stomping grounds. I extensively researched Sulcatas before I brought him home... I knew I was taking him from the bad previous owners, I just didn't know if I would be able to give him a forever home. (This forum was SO helpful in that researching, too!) It was a family decision! My son will be 12 this month, and he knows that Sheldon will more than likely outlive me, and that when that unfortunate time happens, Sheldon will be his. We are all so glad we decided to be Sheldon's forever home... he's a great little tortoise. Plus, I love learning, so I will continue to research and soak up as much knowledge as I possibly can. I'm no expert, but I want to do the very best I can for Sheldon. :D

Dixie-Doo BBQ is no longer here... but I think I do remember it. There are tons of great BBQ places here, still - if you ever end up here again - I'll point you in the direction of some world championship places. :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Honey said:
@ Zamric - Thank you! To answer your questions - yes, I know how big he can get... I'm prepared (well, as much as one thinks they can be!). We own our home, and the backyard/garage will eventually be his stomping grounds. I extensively researched Sulcatas before I brought him home... I knew I was taking him from the bad previous owners, I just didn't know if I would be able to give him a forever home. (This forum was SO helpful in that researching, too!) It was a family decision! My son will be 12 this month, and he knows that Sheldon will more than likely outlive me, and that when that unfortunate time happens, Sheldon will be his. We are all so glad we decided to be Sheldon's forever home... he's a great little tortoise. Plus, I love learning, so I will continue to research and soak up as much knowledge as I possibly can. I'm no expert, but I want to do the very best I can for Sheldon. :D

Dixie-Doo BBQ is no longer here... but I think I do remember it. There are tons of great BBQ places here, still - if you ever end up here again - I'll point you in the direction of some world championship places. :D

:( no more Dixie Doo BBQ :( sad days....

I'm happy you decided to be a forever home to your Sulcata! making it a Family decision is even better! We know that WalkingRock will outlive both Cathie and I (she in her late 50's and me late 40's). Luckily she has a Grand-daughter who is always trying to take him home as her's NOW (she's 11, same as WalkingRock)

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Oooh - I adore the name WalkingRock - too cool!! It's also cool that WR's someday owner is the same age. <3

I always wonder about those people who think getting a tortoise is a good idea, but don't fully understand the level of commitment it takes to do right by these amazing creatures. Sheldon's last owners were so horrid... I knew that he had to get out of there! I was worried, too that he would be beyond my help. His life started out as a bumpy ride, but the past 6 months have hopefully taught him that not all humans are bad.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Honey said:
Oooh - I adore the name WalkingRock - too cool!! It's also cool that WR's someday owner is the same age. <3

I always wonder about those people who think getting a tortoise is a good idea, but don't fully understand the level of commitment it takes to do right by these amazing creatures. Sheldon's last owners were so horrid... I knew that he had to get out of there! I was worried, too that he would be beyond my help. His life started out as a bumpy ride, but the past 6 months have hopefully taught him that not all humans are bad.

That is one of the reasons I always tell new owners to read that Sulcata Challange! If they just got a new hatchling or Youngster, it is easier for them to change thier minds and find it a better home thatn keep it and try to give it to a Zoo later (then find the Zooos don't want them...so sad! :()

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Truth!!! I owned a Russian Horsefield years ago before my husband passed away... I had wanted a turtle or a tortoise for so long! I finally got to bring one home, and I did my best, and the little Russian seemed happy. We had a pretty bad winter storm that knocked out our electricity for 3 days, and I was unable to keep him warm - or find a friend who would tend to him until power came back. He survived the power outage, but that led to a RI that I couldn't help him through. There were no vets here willing to take him on. :( I was so upset and heartbroken about the entire situation - I didn't know if I would ever try owning one again of any kind.

I got Sheldon in an odd way. I was on Craigslist hunting for a 40 gallon breeder for one of our bearded dragons who was just about ready to move into a larger enclosure. 40 gallon breeders are about $200 at the cheapest in our area - and the only post on Craigslist that pooped up was Sheldon! The bad owners wanted $100 for him, the tank, and his hide. We drove about 15 miles from Springfield to get him. They had told me it was between me and one other person. I asked them if the other person was well-researched with Sulcatas - and also if they had the ability to care for a 200 pound tortoise long term. The said the other person wanted to get Sheldon for their 4 year old son - for his room. I begged them to let me come and get him - and I offered them more $$. They chose us! lol

Of course, now - I have back up plans for bad weather, and vets nearby who will see Sheldon if there is an obvious reason for a visit. I get teased a lot about taking better care of my family - human and nonhuman than I do myself. 'Tis how it is. :D

I really wish that there was some form of application to weed out the impulse-buyers that breeders could enforce. But hey, at least there are people out there like the majority of this forum's members who do their part to make it a better world for our shelled friends. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.