New to the world of tortoises...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TediTortoise

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I am looking into getting a tortoise and have been doing all sorts of research. I live in Reno Nevada and have been looking into either a Russian, a Redfoot or Greek. I was wondering if anyone has some good breeders or websites I can get one from? I have heard so many bad things about buying from Petco that I can't bring myself to get one from there now, but have been unsuccessful at finding other options in my town. If anyone has some wesbites, I'd appreciate it!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

All three are good species... If you look in the for sale section, you can look and see if anyone is selling them... Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi TediTortoise:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

The only breeder in Nevada who comes to mind is in Las Vegas. Tyler Stewart. He's a member here on the forum. You can visit his website at tortoisesupply.com.

Then you can go to our sold forum and make a note of the people who have sold in the past the type of tortoise you're looking for and give them a pm or email to see if they have any more.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I am like Yvonne, only Tyler comes to mind. Also in Las Vegas is a pet store that has quite a selection of turtles and tortoises. What has made you decide a tortoise is right for you?

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
You can find just about anything on Craigslist. We watched our local Pets list there for about a year. Each time we saw a Russian tortoise for adoption, I would contact the poster. Each time, they already had multiple interested parties. This time we somehow managed to be the first ones to email. We now have not one, but two, Russians.

We adopted them both for a very reasonable (more than fair) price which included them and their habitat.

Craigslist FTW!

TediTortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll keep on eye on Craigslist and start looking around for breeders in the meantime. I go by Tedi :]

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi! Welcome to TFO.

I wouldn't stick a redfoot in Nevada. Basically the only way to keep this tropical savanna species healthy out here in the West is by giving it lots of humidity, which takes a lot of time, money, and effort. It can be done, but in my view, it makes more sense to get another kind of tortoise that can handle the prevailing conditions more easily.

A Greek or Russian tortoise would have a much easier time acclimating to Nevada, with much less work on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.