new to tortise's

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
Hello all, I am new to reptiles, and tortise's. I was curios on tortise's and wanted to try to keep one. I dont know where to start, and petco and petsmart people, I cant really seem to trust them. I have been in reef tank hobby for a very long time, with corals and reef fish, clams etc etc.
From that experince, they really have no clue what they are saying.

Anyway from that experince, I thought I'd try to find a tortise forum to get more correct information. Anyway, I would like to build a home for the tortise where I am going to keep him, and I need help where to start from.

What are the items I need inorder to start a turtle home? Help would be appreciated, thanks!

firework

5 Year Member
Where are you? I think reptile show is the best place to find a good pet tortoise for reasonable price. The state where I am living in doesn't allow turtle trading, so the shows don't have them. I am so envy of the people in FL and CA. I bought mine online (I think I paid three to four times the price they ask at reptile shows, and I couldn't see the stock or pick one in person). He had some minor health problems in the first couple of weeks, but this is my first tort and he is a hatchling. It might be my fault or from the stress of shipping. He is pretty good now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
pastelsoda said:
Hello all, I am new to reptiles, and tortise's. I was curios on tortise's and wanted to try to keep one. I dont know where to start, and petco and petsmart people, I cant really seem to trust them. I have been in reef tank hobby for a very long time, with corals and reef fish, clams etc etc.
From that experince, they really have no clue what they are saying.

Anyway from that experince, I thought I'd try to find a tortise forum to get more correct information. Anyway, I would like to build a home for the tortise where I am going to keep him, and I need help where to start from.

What are the items I need inorder to start a turtle home? Help would be appreciated, thanks!

1st, welcome to the Forum! :)

Start by deciding on a species, as that will determine your enclosure size/style. Some tortoises prefer more humidity than others, and some tortoises prefer warmer air temps than others.

If possible, make an outside enclosure for as much of the year as is possible in your area, and that can help you determine what species to go with, too...if you live in a very humid area, you might do well w/ a Hingeback or Redfoot...if you live in a fairly arid clime, a Desert or European tortoise will be easier to provide a good home for.

As for enclosure size, you really can't build too big (from the tort's point-of-view), but minimal is perhaps 8 tortoise-lengths X 6 tortoise-lengths...so, if your tortoise is will grow to 6" long, then figure about 4' X 3' (an acceptable indoor/winter home). If your tortoise will eventually grow to 12", 8' X 6' is appropriate...I always build for the adult size.

Again, bigger is better...my Europeans each have outside enclosure of about 7-1/2' X 5', but I'm preparing to build a Hermann's community enclosure of approx 17' by 11' (approx. 187 square feet).

Check out the "Enclosures" part of this forum for some fantastic ideas...some of our fellow tortoise fanciers have come up w/ some amazing enclosures, that both serve the tortoise's needs AND look great, as part of the yard!

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
Hello, thanks all for replys. I have no idea what kind of tortise is best for me yet o.o lol
I am from California, Nor-cal that is also. Regarding building a tank, is it best for starters to get the starter kit? or best bet to build one with wood?
Or can we just use the glass aquariums for it? I am trying to go cheapest way possible, and also at the same time making the best home for the tortise.
Thanks for your help :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Tortoise are not a cheap pet. Some will cost $$$ for a proper enclosure and food. A large plastic tote or christmas tree storage tote or cement mixing tub are better than a glass tank. A glass tank is harder to regulate temps. Torts need a safe out door pen too. I suggest you read lots of threads on different breeds to see what best fits the room and $ you have to offer. I also am a big fan of getting rescue torts, there should be some in your area that you can google. I am not a fan of pet stores because some sell wild caught instead of from a breeder. When you decide on what breed you want then you should have everything ready before you bring it home. They need heat lamps and UVB lamps and moisture. I do not like pet store food either. You can find lists of safe foods on the forum also. After you decide what breed then consider if you want a hatchling or an older tort. Hatchlings are very fragile and a lot don't make it know matter how well they are taken care of. For your first tort I would get a yearling or older. With that said, welcome to TFO it is a great forum to learn the best ways to care for these special creatures :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome as many have said torts are'nt cheap even if you try and go the cheap route. You will have to decide what size tort you want. The smaller species like boxies or russians, and the larger species sulc's and red/yelowfoot. Feel free to ask away and once again welcome.

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
Haha, thanks all. I have $250 to invest at this moment, do you think thats enough to get it started? I am still not sure what kind of tortise home I need to buy though.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/inde...Pet+Type+1/Turtle&fbc=1&fbn=Pet+Type+1|Turtle

Petsmart is having sale on tortoise's. I am interested in the look of the Greek Tortoise. What do you guys think about Greek Tortoise? Also out of all the Tortoise's in the list, which one would be more beginner friendly? and maybe does not grow so huge.

Also what do you guys think about the pricing?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
To be honrst I have never seen anything but russians in the petsmart and petco stores, so I don't know how available greeks would be there.

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
nvm i called all over the place, they were all out of any type of tortoise except one 20 miles away from me, and have one. I might go pick it up later tonight if its still avalible.

My question is, if I am able to pick him up today, Could I put him in some kind of box or a big plastic bowl, untill monday when I can pick up his rest of the stuff?
I wont be able to spend full 250 in one day, I was planning on adding the house first then the tortoise later. But in this type of case, could I do the tortoise way first? then 2 days later pick up his rest of the stuff? Of course I will have to buy some food and water bowl when I pick him up today.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
your in calif. right? he won't day in a day or two especially with the heat we are having right now. A box IMHO is a fine temporary home, just don't keep him there long term.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's an idea. Set up the enclosure. Get all your equipment. Check and double check your temps over a few days........ and THEN get the tortoise.

Frankly your dollar limit concerns me. If your tortoise get's sick or injured, it will cost far more than $250 to get it fixed up. If you are cutting it that close, perhaps you should wait until you are more financially stable until you take on a pet that should out live all of us.

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
well of course I would need to invest more later in the future. What I said was $250 to get it started, which means buying his home, food, bowls, dirt, lamps, and the tortoise it self, just the starting price to get him set up. Of course I would need to invest much more later in the future, replacing bulbs, foods, taking him to vet when neccessary etc etc.

The Russian Tortoise from petsmart is having them on sale for $49.99 and theres only one left. So thats why the temporary home topic came up, incase if you guys were wondering.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
pastelsoda said:
well of course I would need to invest more later in the future. What I said was $250 to get it started, which means buying his home, food, bowls, dirt, lamps, and the tortoise it self, just the starting price to get him set up. Of course I would need to invest much more later in the future, replacing bulbs, foods, taking him to vet when neccessary etc etc.

The Russian Tortoise from petsmart is having them on sale for $49.99 and theres only one left. So thats why the temporary home topic came up, incase if you guys were wondering.

I what to point out I don't have a tort yet, but all last week I've been priceing the supplies I will need to get one. It came up around $ 300. That was just for food, light, and tub(cage), and then I add another $100 for vet. I plan to save at least $500 before getting my tort.

I'm not trying to be negative or anything! $ 250 sounds like a reasonable price if your not adding the tort in, but that just my opinion.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group!

Keep in mind that Petco & Petsmart sell wild caught Russians. They stick hundreds or thousands in a crate piled on top of each other and they sit in there for weeks pooping on each other. They choose the ones from the wild that are just over 4 inches to meet the law, but take up less space int he crate. Many die and many are sick. All so they can be sold for under $100. You can spend three times that much and support a tort breeder and get a healthy tort. Make sure you are an informed buyer. I can't tell you that getting a wild caught tort is wrong, but I can tell you that I would never support that. The pet stores will lie (or the employees just repeat what their manager tells them to say) and say they are captive bred or just a year old or whatever, so don't believe a word they say. Most of the stuff they sell is junk too. Please make sure you do your research. It will take about a month at a bare minimum to be well informed and prepared for a tort.

Think $150-$200 for the tort (likely shipped overnight), a couple hundred to build or buy and enclosure and get the bulb ($50) and supplies, $100 for an initial vet check up and fecal test for parasites, and a few hundred set aside for emergencies. Plus at least $50/month for food, supplies, larger enclosures, vet check up, any medications, etc. I'd get the enclosure set up first. Get it the size for an adult tort (10 sq ft or so for a Russian) and then you can block off part of it if you get younger (but I'd try not to go under a year old). You will have to make changes as you learn after you get the tort anyways, but it is way too stressful to try and get items after the fact. To get a good bulb (a 100 Watt Mercury Vapor Bulb, T-Rex Active UV or Mega Ray), you can only order them online, and most of the time they are back ordered (I've been waiting weeks for mine already). The brands they carry in the pet stores aren't as good and are more like $80+ instead of $50. Patience is key. Please don't rush out and get a wild caught, or get a tiny hatchling as they are fragile. Do the research so if you decide to do either its an informed decision. My personal recommendation is to wait and find a yearling captive bred. Good luck and keep us posted!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pastelsoda said:
Haha, thanks all. I have $250 to invest at this moment, do you think thats enough to get it started? I am still not sure what kind of tortise home I need to buy though.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/inde...Pet+Type+1/Turtle&fbc=1&fbn=Pet+Type+1|Turtle

Petsmart is having sale on tortoise's. I am interested in the look of the Greek Tortoise. What do you guys think about Greek Tortoise? Also out of all the Tortoise's in the list, which one would be more beginner friendly? and maybe does not grow so huge.

Also what do you guys think about the pricing?

Greeks, depending on the subspecies, do get slightly larger than Ruissians, but neither is all that large (a really big Greek female might get to 12", while a really big Russian female might get to 8" or so) and either makes a great pet.

Prices @ PetSmart is OK, but these are, in both cases, wild-caught, so you'll be wise to get whichever you choose to a vet ASAP, to check for parasites. Still potentially less expensive than a CBB yearling or adult ($200 and up) of either species. I favor the Greek, but you'll find a lot of RT fans here, too.

Checking w/ your nearest tortoise adoption group wouldn't be a bad idea, although the nearest one around here primarily has sulcatas only (and these are capable of getting to 150+ eventually, so give that idea a lot of thought).

Also, your local Craigslist might have a tortoise looking for a new home.

Do your homework...it'll pay off in the long run! :cool:

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
i see, another question. Does aquatic turtle cost much as the land tortoise when it comes to setting it up, and caring for them?
The reef tank hobby + the tortoise hobby might be an overkill for me, since the reef tank hobby already costed me +$2,000 so far, so I am curios about red ear slider's

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well I keep my RES in a giant kiddie pool outside, cost of 50 dollars or so and I have had it for 15 years now. I feed them every other day plus keep live food in there for them to hunt down. I would reccomend an aquatic only if you keep them outside, most tanks are to small for adults RES and the ones that are not are very very exspensive. Also outside RES have to be protected from predators. A racoon got several of mine and I was pissed, but keeping RES are usually cheaper than torts IMHO. Also CL is usually loaded with people who are giving away RES.

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
ah i see, how do you keep them protected? also what kind of equipment set up do you have out there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pastelsoda:

Don't let us discourage you from getting a tortoise if you really want one. However, I give you a LOT of credit for learning about them before you buy one.

A tortoise is a great "pet," however, it is really a wild animal and should be kept outside as much as the weather will allow. Because of their shell, they really need the sunshine to keep them healthy and hard.

It is fairly cheap to set up a young tortoise in an indoor habitat if you go the used book case or large plastic tub route. However, always remember that these things are temporary and the tortoise needs to be outside.

You can pick up a used 4 or 5 shelf book case for a song. Remove the shelves and line it with plastic sheeting. Add your substrate a couple hiding places a feeding tile and a water dish, maybe some plants either fake or real, and a couple heat sources (a light and a night time heat source). The bulb will probably be the most expensive thing on the list at around $50.

Good luck in your search. I don't know how close you are to San Jose, but there's a chapter of the Calif. Turtle & Tortoise Club there and they usually have turtles and tortoises to adopt out.

http://www.tortoise.org/siliconvalley/contact.html

pastelsoda

5 Year Member
oh wow great! i happend to be from san jose! I ll definatly check this place out. Thanks for your advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.