New to tortoises

redtailcatfish

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Lane and I live in Maine. I have been entertaining myself with the idea of getting a tortoise for a while now and I think that I am ready for the commitment, I would just like to learn more about them before blindly "diving in."

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Why are you thinking a tortoise would make a good addition to your life? Do you have a type in mind for the lucky tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Lets us know what species you are considering and we can help find you the info to read.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lane:

Welcome to the Forum!

redtailcatfish

5 Year Member
Well the reasoning behind this is that I would like a pet that will stay with me longer than simply a dog might and I think that a tortoise is just my kind of speed. I was thinking that a Hermann Tortoise is a good place to start seeing as how they are a little eiser to care for and 8 inches seemes like a good size.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians stay small also :)

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hi Lane,
I also have been thinking for a long time of adding a tortoise to our family, and 2 days ago I finally took the plunge. we adopted a male Russian and he is just wonderful. I had been looking also adopting a hermanns, but when I saw this little guy he just won me over with his curious personality.. he is really active which I like, and very friendly. I hope you find the right tortoise for yourself, once you do. your hooked and in love <3

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think a hermann tortoise would be a great one to start with. :) They can have such beautiful carapace shells.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
redtailcatfish said:
Hello my name is Lane and I live in Maine. I have been entertaining myself with the idea of getting a tortoise for a while now and I think that I am ready for the commitment, I would just like to learn more about them before blindly "diving in."

The person I got my Hermanni from has a Greek he desperately needs to rehome as well. He called me again and asked if I had room for his Greek. I have a Greek as well, and he is super outgoing, social, loves pets, eats out of my hand...I can't recommend either a Greek or a Hermanni enough.

If you are interested, I will contact him and have you exchange numbers. He's in New York. He really is trying to find a good home for this guy.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hi Lane from Maine! Welcome to a great place for tortoise seekers and keepers. That is so great that you are doing some research first. This forum has lots of answers and wonderfully kind members. The little Greeks are fun, I have two. Love them! Also, one of our members has a very nice and informative site for you to look at, it's hermannihaven.com : )

Diya

5 Year Member
Hey,

Thanks a lott.. even i have 2 and i really love them a lottttt... :), i will go through the site for sure.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Hi Lane from Maine! Welcome to a great place for tortoise seekers and keepers. That is so great that you are doing some research first. This forum has lots of answers and wonderfully kind members. The little Greeks are fun, I have two. Love them! Also, one of our members has a very nice and informative site for you to look at, it's hermannihaven.com : )