New to torts and the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedditorsWife

5 Year Member
Hi all. I'm looking to get a leopard tortoise. I was wondering if this one looks healthy? It's the only one I have found locally. I know of fauna and kingsnake but I was hoping to find one in my area before having something this fragile shipped across the country.. I'm told it originally came from Ben Siegel, I'm not sure if it was from one of the auctions or what.

I don't have any experience with tortoises or turtles. I currently have a tegu, a lewisi hybrid iguana and 2 dogs (amstaff and a pit mix). I am well aware of the costs to keep reptiles, the space isn't an issue. I do plan to keep the tortoise in my room for a while, its easier to monitor humidity and temps. I use MVBs for my lizards but I also take them out a few times a week for some natural light. I would take the future tort outside as well. Ideally, I would house it outside during the warmer months and move it inside during the winter.

Anyway, here are the pics. Thanks for the help.

2012-09-01_21-55-16_897.jpg2012-09-01_21-55-23_67.jpg2012-09-01_21-55-34_570.jpg2012-09-01_21-55-56_120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here. It look healthy to me, from the pics.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the lighting or what, but it looks a bit sickly -- sunken eyes, lethargic (if you can tell that from a photo). I generally look for bright eyes, active, warm, etc.

I wouldn't buy it. Just my two cents...

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the form and the Tort world! I have a baby leopard tortoise and these buddies are a joy. Mine is active and has bright eyes. Im not sure about the one you are holding. doesnt look to active and the eyes are dull. Thats my opinion though. I bet with love and good tortoise husbandry this little guy will become a great tort with a great personality! If you dont decide to get this guy then I would recommend Tortoise Supply. This is where I got my Leopard and I say they do a great job with shipping and care. Hope this helps!

RedditorsWife

5 Year Member
It's not mine. These are pics that were emailed to me a few hours ago. I might just need to poke around more on some of the other sites and see if I can find a different one since this guy isnt looking too good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome Reditorswife!!

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
You can look in our for sale section. There are some for sale now from the reputable Eweezyfosheezy.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Baby-Leopard-Tortoises--50679#axzz25KCg38kn

As for Ben Siegel, ive been to many reptile expo's and he always had a table. His snakes look awesome but his Leopard tortoise never look too good to me. I just went to an expo yesterday and he had two that didn't look too good. The other tortoise he had looked pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.