New to torts

Hi I'm new to the tortoise community. I'm in the process of building a tortoise table and plan to buy a greek tortoise with in the next few weeks if I can find any in available. I have so many questions I can't Walt to talk with all of you. I think tortoises are awesome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

We have a couple Greek breeders here on the Forum. Take a look at our Breeders section.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I'm new to the tortoise community. I'm in the process of building a tortoise table and plan to buy a greek tortoise with in the next few weeks if I can find any in available. I have so many questions I can't Walt to talk with all of you. I think tortoises are awesome
Hi and welcome - you are in the right place to find all up to date tort related information.
There is a caresheet for Greeks under species specific which will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas. The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid problems encountered by others.
Just a few general pointers I have picked up which will save you some cash are.
  • avoid coiled and long thin loop cfl type bulbs as these can damage torts eye so risky
  • a temp gun is more accurate and easier to spot check your 4 temps than the dial sort of thermometers pet shops sell; so are digital temp and humidity gauges with probes
  • don't waste money on fancy steep sided water dishes - shallow terracotta plant saucers big enough for torts to self soak are cheaper and safer for them to get in and out
  • sand has been known to cause the gut to become impacted if ingested and casue eye probs, pellets are too dry and straw/hay becomes mouldy when wet.and can scratch eyes so see what are the best options on the caresheet.
Basically check what you need here before parting with your hard earned money as pet shops don't always give the best advice.
Happy tort hunting!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England