New to Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishcomicguy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi All,

New to the forum and new to turtles. I have a 120 litre tank (31 gallons US) and recently got a 3 month old Musk Turtle. Is this tank large enough? It has 2 angelfish, 6 striped Danio, a pleco in there. He has settled in really well, has a few hiding areas, a basking rock he doesn't use and a plastic plant he hides in and sticks his head out of the water. He also has lots of hiding areas that he uses but has no problem being out in public.

I have lots of questions that I hope can be answered. Is my tank big enough? What should I feed him, so far I have been feeding him pellets, frozen bloodworm and a tiny bit of shrimp? I have also been feeding him in a separate dish, which involves picking him up and moving him? Is this okay? Will it stress him out, and do turtles suffer from stress the same way fish do? He has never made the strong musky smell I have read about. There is a slightly strong current in the tank due to the filter but he manages okay. I don't think it is a problem.

I have read i should not expect him to bask, is this correct?

Any beginners advice would also be highly appreciated. Should he have a large amount of caves? He has never chased any of the fish apart from having a weird obsession with sitting on top of the pleco, which the pleco has now accepted.

All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
If you to the species specific forum and click on Turtles you can post there for some advice or just read other people's post on their musk turtles. I really do not know the species so I cannot help all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.