leaf fish

Delilah1623

Does anyone have a leaf fish? I saw a super cute one the other day and am wondering if he would go in my tank. It is a 37 gallon with 2 angelfish that appear to be the same sex, a Germany blue ram and a clown pleco. Or does anyone have any suggestions? Tropical fish are not my forte

leopard777

5 Year Member
never kept one before but currently i have a leopard ctenopoma in mine planted tank .

Delilah1623

I will probably regret this but I listened to the petsmart guy and added a panda platy and a black ghost knife fish. Wish me luck!

Delilah1623

Yes. Unfortunately they don't move around much and just float around looking leaf like. They are "ambush" predators in the wild, so give him some live brine shrimp every now and then. They also eat other fishes babies, so be warned.
The little leaf fish was gone (probably good because he may have been a bit small for my angelfish right now) and so I ended up picking out a black ghost knife fish which I have always loved and apparently do really well with angelfish. He is amazing to watch at night. My tank has tons of hiding spots and I ordered him one of those clear tubes online as well. So far he seems happy but he's so odd he makes me a little nervous.

Delilah1623

And I am all for baby fish being eaten... no warm fuzzies here. I am trying to get a small breeding colony of guppies and snails for my diamondback terrapin.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good. Because a knife fish hunts at night and in the morning there will be a few less babies. Knife fishes are very interesting and unusual. They are also almost completely blind. Drop in some pellets after you turn off the lights at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are several species called "leaf fish". Do you know which one you were looking at? Latin name?

Delilah1623

It was an African spotted leaf fish if I remember correctly.

I did just get some sinking carnivore pellets for my ghost knife for nighttime fun!

Delilah1623

Good. Because a knife fish hunts at night and in the morning there will be a few less babies. Knife fishes are very interesting and unusual. They are also almost completely blind. Drop in some pellets after you turn off the lights at night.

they are definitely fascinating fish. I was curious last night if he knew it was dark or if he just knew it was night so I turned the light back on and he didn't seem to notice and I got to watch his antics (=