New fish ideas for dummies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
So I am leaving my current job, and part of my duties was the office aquarium care-taker. It's a 52-gallon cube. There's a subadult Jack Dempsey in there that I am rehoming because, obviously he is getting too big for it.

My inclination is a small school of ONE species of fish, because I keep this tank as simple as possible for rest of the staff who will taking over its care. Any suggestions for a dummy-proof fish that would do well in a 52-gal cube?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think a school of neon tetras would be nice. And maybe another school of danios. I like the striped ones.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree guppies or platies. Active, colorful, and almost foolproof.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Nothing that requires salt added, or anything. Anything that can adapt to fluctuations in pH.This tank has slightly high pH (around 7.5), and it is difficult to lower (I have tried).

The people in this office are not aquarium hobbyists, so by their own admission (LOL), they requested I get something that is idiot-proof. I have found danios to be fairly hardy.

Just trying to think back to the years of pet shop experience when I did dead-fish checks every morning....what are species I hardly EVER pulled out a floater? LOL

Neons are out. Any live-bearers (guppies, mollies, platies, etc) are out. Hmmm...some of the larger tetras perhaps: ex. black phantoms, Columbian tetras, etc.

I even considered a group of tiger barbs, like 7-12.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to suggest tiger barbs too. Buenos aries tetras. Goramies. Angelfish. Giant danios. Some little corydoras cats and a small pleco for the bottom too.

You could also add some rocks and do a bunch of Malawi cichlids. Super hardy.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, I was going for a single-species approach because if something does die, it will be easy to replace. They can just go back to the store, and say "we had this, we need another one." They do not have to worry about what fish will be compatible with what, etc etc. You may jest, but seriously, when I say "dummy-proof," I mean dummy-proof.

Although I might sneak a raphael catfish in there just for clean-up. I know those things are bullet-proof.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
One of my favorite dither fish is the giant danio. These are just as active as zebra and spotted danios, and they also tend to stay near the surface. However, they are a bit larger, and faster, too. A school of at least 5 of these guys looks really nice. They do need more space than smaller schooling fish, but I think your 52-gallon cube should be fine. Other than that, they are about as easy to care for as their smaller cousins, and can be fed flake food. :)

BTW - They're calm enough to keep with most community fish, but tough enough to coexist with similarly sized, lower water column cichlids!

800pxdevarioaequipinnat.jpg

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I agree with tiger barbs...they look great in big schools. And I love my big old Raphael cat they are certified fool proof.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Cardinal tetras? Seriously? I have pulled out enough dead cardinals to sustain an Oscar for a lifetime. They are certainly not dummy-proof.

I decided to go with gold barbs and a little raphael. I have a great success with them personally and professionally. Hopefully, the little school I got will keep the winning streak going.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
Any suggestions for a dummy-proof fish that would do well in a 52-gal cube?

You know those plastic fish on the clear lines with weights at the bottom...

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Plan C, install decorative "natural" looking dividers to make 5 10 gallon sections. Make sure there's no way to travel from one section to the next then put a single betta in each. Lots of color, lots of hardiness, and they're pretty bullet-proof unless they meet their neighbor.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
chairman said:
Plan C, install decorative "natural" looking dividers to make 5 10 gallon sections. Make sure there's no way to travel from one section to the next then put a single betta in each. Lots of color, lots of hardiness, and they're pretty bullet-proof unless they meet their neighbor.

Yeeaahhh....I'm leaving in a week, and got a enough on my plate. Even on their dime, I'm not going through all that trouble of getting the dividers, and setting them up, etc. Kinda goes strays away from that whole K.I.S.S. mentality I was going for. Much easier to offer one betta with some compatible fish.

Also remember this is a 52 gallon cube, NOT a standard 55 gallon tank. That divider idea would be a little more tricky to work out!

Status
Not open for further replies.