Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm going to let ya'll in on a little secret. Have any of you been watching that show on cable, "Hoarders"? Well, I have to confess, I'm a hoarder! My particular vice is scrap or used lumber:

YFtable-1.jpg

I stop by construction sites frequently and ask if I can take some of their scraps. If I see good used lumber in the trash pile on garbage day, I'll go to the door and ask the homeowner if they mind if I take it. As you can see, I have amassed quite a nice pile of used and scrap lumber...and that doesn't even show the plywood! I keep that on the porch of the old house. Incidentally, that's the back of the old house you can see in the picture.

So the nights have been consistently below 50 degrees and I realized I needed to clean out the baby Yellowfoot tortoises' winter pen (hereinafter referred to as YF):

YFtable-6.jpg

I took one look at that spider web encrusted piece of junk and realized that it was way too small to put the baby YF in this winter. Oh Boy!! Another project!!

My adult YF tortoises have a nice mini rain forest and they sleep in part of the Aldabran shed. Here's a view of their yard and the back of the shed, which you can just barely see throught the lattice:

YFtable-4.jpg

YFtable-5.jpg

In the winter, they don't seem to be smart enough to stay in the shed where its warm, so I have to block off their exit and they aren't allowed outside. However, there is a nice little porch-like area between the back of the shed and the lattice, and I wrap plastic around the lattice in the winter, so the porch is like a little greenhouse:

YFtable-7.jpg

I had an old window screen across the top of the big YF's pig blanket with a wet towell on it:

YFtable-2.jpg

I took that down and decided to build a tort table above them:

YFtable-3.jpg

YFtable-8.jpg

Instead of using the plastic that I wrap the lattice with I bought a shower curtain liner for about $6 to line the table. I was so involved in my project, that I forgot to take a picture of the liner in the table, and I went ahead and added the substrate, etc:

YFtable-10.jpg

YFtable-11.jpg

I don't usually plant my indoor habitats because they are just temporary. But the little guys won't be able to go outside for the whole winter, so I decided to make it look more like a home.

I meant to mention that the reason I showed you my hoarding vice picture is because most all of my projects have been built with used or scrap lumber. I had to buy a bit of plywood for the Manouria shed, but everything else is either scrap or used!

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
nice, i just built a table for my guys since the temps been getting in the 40s at night, I need to add plants and a humid hide still though... maybe more lights too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow! Yvonne...how do you know how to do all this. I wouldn't know where to begin. I wish I had your talent. I envy your independence. That is really nice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The plants are just for eye appeal and hiding places. There's a scheffelera, a couple kalanchoe, an African violet, a fern, a grape-leaf ivy and a spider plant. The plants in pots up on their sleeping quarters are different varieties of sanseveria.

Yvonne

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Looks really nice :)

Is grape-leaf ivy related to english ivy? Because your little guys definitely shouldn't get their hands on that.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good thing you put which plants were in your enclosure because I was just going to ask you what they were. :D Now are all of them O.K. and not toxic I take it? Your enclosure for them is beautiful and I am also surprised at all the work you do by yourself. It's wonderful for the tortoises to have someone so caring looking after them. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, Grape-leaf ivy isn't related to English ivy. I'm not sure if the violets are edible, but everything else is ok.

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It is very impressive and well constructed; also looks beautiful and lush from tortoise eye level. Your torties are lucky critters to have such a caring Food Goddess.

:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
I am also surprised at all the work you do by yourself. It's wonderful for the tortoises to have someone so caring looking after them. :)

It was a matter of sink or swim. When my husband died in '83, I also lost my plumber, electrician, mechanic and all round good-body! So because I didn't have much money, I had to learn to take care of myself. You can do it if you have to!

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
emysemys said:
Candy said:
I am also surprised at all the work you do by yourself. It's wonderful for the tortoises to have someone so caring looking after them. :)

It was a matter of sink or swim. When my husband died in '83, I also lost my plumber, electrician, mechanic and all round good-body! So because I didn't have much money, I had to learn to take care of myself. You can do it if you have to!

Yvonne

Your husband sounds like he was a very good man. It must have been very hard for you after that learning everything you had to learn, but I can see that you did learn it. You do a very good job at it to. :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
how deep is the soil in your table? I need to add a lot more to mine, humidity is a pain right now to keep up...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I first put down about 2" of organic top soil, then another 2" of fine grade orchid bark.

Yvonne

(Incidentally, you should see it this a.m. Doesn't look anything like the clean habitat of the picture. Its all messed up and the plants are all tipped over.)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Fantastic Yvonne ! The new little tort table looks beautiful !!! I love all your lumber scraps, oooo weee thats alot of wood! Projects are cool though, keeps you outta mischief ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.