Shed for YF tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I built a 10x8x6' shed for my Aldabran tortoises. The YF tortoises live right next door. So I sectioned off 4' inside the shed for them. Then, to give the shed more shade (it gets pretty hot here in the summer) I build an additional roof over it and put up lattice on the sides of it. I didn't want to cut the lattice so I just extended it off the back side of the shed and made the YF tortoises a 'porch' off of their section. During the winter I wrap the porch with plastic film. If the sun shines even just a tiny bit, it heats up inside the porch and I'm able to allow the YF tortoises out into that area. So they're not locked inside the shed all winter. In the porch picture you can see the little tortoise door leading out to the rain forest, but it's blocked by a plank right now.

YF shed 10-18-16 a.jpg YF covered patio 12-03-14.jpg YF covered patio b 12-03-14.jpg YF shed 10-18-16 b.jpg YF shed 10-18-16 c.jpg YF shed 10-18-16 d.jpg

(There's a volunteer fig tree growing on the porch)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Well done! I'm sure they will appreciate the porch.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
You are amazing! Yvonne~ ~ ~ ~ ;););)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Very nice. Always making things better one day at a time. I'm the same way lol. Every day im like what else can I do to make things a little better haha

Kyle

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I built a 10x8x6' shed for my Aldabran tortoises. The YF tortoises live right next door. So I sectioned off 4' inside the shed for them. Then, to give the shed more shade (it gets pretty hot here in the summer) I build an additional roof over it and put up lattice on the sides of it. I didn't want to cut the lattice so I just extended it off the back side of the shed and made the YF tortoises a 'porch' off of their section. During the winter I wrap the porch with plastic film. If the sun shines even just a tiny bit, it heats up inside the porch and I'm able to allow the YF tortoises out into that area. So they're not locked inside the shed all winter. In the porch picture you can see the little tortoise door leading out to the rain forest, but it's blocked by a plank right now.

View attachment 189782 View attachment 189780 View attachment 189781 View attachment 189783 View attachment 189784 View attachment 189785

(There's a volunteer fig tree growing on the porch)
Excellent, I'm going to build something like this with a shed next year. The covering of the porch to act as a sun room is an excellent idea.
My reds love those fig leaves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Excellent, I'm going to build something like this with a shed next year. The covering of the porch to act as a sun room is an excellent idea.
My reds love those fig leaves.

Yeah, I've heard they are edible, but none of my tortoises are interested in eating them.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Lucky tortoises! I also like the lattice as a shade provider, looks good!