New Tort

Scubaroo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
albus1.jpg
So Today we Drove down To Florida Iguana & Tortoise breeders to pick up out baby Aldabra from Sam.
Sam was awesome and showed us around his farm, let us feed some of his giant Galapagos, and then gave us as much time as we wanted to pick out our little fella.
I tell you, it wasn't an easy choice either. there were about 20 of them all running around all cute as can be. I was in heaven. but we finally decided on this one as it seemed to be the most friendly with us. he was not skittish at all. albus2.jpg

It is unsexed, but i feel it will be a male so we decided on the name Albus Dumbletort. In that one day he will be old and wise just like Albus Dumbledore the great wizard from harry Potter. ( in case anyone didn't get the reference. )

**I know that this enclosure isn't the largest or most ideal, but we are moving from and apartment to a house in a month, so I believe he will get by just fine until then.

albus3.jpg
Here is me Feeding one of Sam's Giant Galapagos Tortoises. This big boy is 80years old, and over 600lbs.!
It was magical!

Mende

San Diego
View attachment 211189
So Today we Drove down To Florida Iguana & Tortoise breeders to pick up out baby Aldabra from Sam.
Sam was awesome and showed us around his farm, let us feed some of his giant Galapagos, and then gave us as much time as we wanted to pick out our little fella.
I tell you, it wasn't an easy choice either. there were about 20 of them all running around all cute as can be. I was in heaven. but we finally decided on this one as it seemed to be the most friendly with us. he was not skittish at all. View attachment 211190

It is unsexed, but i feel it will be a male so we decided on the name Albus Dumbletort. In that one day he will be old and wise just like Albus Dumbledore the great wizard from harry Potter. ( in case anyone didn't get the reference. )

**I know that this enclosure isn't the largest or most ideal, but we are moving from and apartment to a house in a month, so I believe he will get by just fine until then.

View attachment 211191
Here is me Feeding one of Sam's Giant Galapagos Tortoises. This big boy is 80years old, and over 600lbs.!
It was magical!
Awesome! Dream tortoise

Scubaroo

Florida
20170628_180259.jpg
Little Albus is doing great. He loves wandering around and checking every thing out. I can't wait until we move next month and I can make him a proper pen with more room.
20170629_204524.jpg
And the little guy can eat. He is voracious when it's chow time. He seems to love everything we give him, except the mazuri tortoise chow. Typical, haha.

BevSmith

So much fun! I just sit and watch him as much as I can. I sit out and read with him, and I am fascinated when I watch him eat. I don't know why, but I just love it!

I would do the same! I love love love it when my sulcata grazes. So fun to watch her pluck clover flowers from the patch.

Scubaroo

Florida
20170716_084244.jpg
In the picture you can kind of see Albus's shell was a bit disfigured. On the top he had an indent almost. Over the last few weeks it has been " popping" up and becoming all the more rounded and more normal looking.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well - congrats !

I'd wanted an Aldabra sine a wild kingdom special in the early 70s, finally got one a few years ago.

Got friends who thought id lost my mind 'cause they are a little expensive , till I reminded one he paid more for a well bred show dog -, and my CupCake will outlive the pup by 10-20xs.
... that shut ' em up. Lol.

They are just sweet , it's the only word I think of for the personality. Especially once used to you. I've kept a journal of Cupcakes life to hand down to the next owner ( one of my children I hope). As it is probable she ( I call her a her 'cause I just want to :) will outlive me, maybe even them.

The record on your thread here is a good place to log pictures, growth , events too. Besides others can learn & profit from it.

Good fortune to you all

Alaskamike

South Florida
P.s. I forgot to mention , I found if I soaked the Mazui first , then crushed it up over the weeds & grass , my tort developed a taste for it quickly.

After that I still soaked it, but she would go right after it when offered.

Scubaroo

Florida
Well - congrats !

I'd wanted an Aldabra sine a wild kingdom special in the early 70s, finally got one a few years ago.

Got friends who thought id lost my mind 'cause they are a little expensive , till I reminded one he paid more for a well bred show dog -, and my CupCake will outlive the pup by 10-20xs.
... that shut ' em up. Lol.

They are just sweet , it's the only word I think of for the personality. Especially once used to you. I've kept a journal of Cupcakes life to hand down to the next owner ( one of my children I hope). As it is probable she ( I call her a her 'cause I just want to :) will outlive me, maybe even them.

The record on your thread here is a good place to log pictures, growth , events too. Besides others can learn & profit from it.

Good fortune to you all

That is my plan, when I have children this will be how I hope to get them to care about animals and the environment.
My girlfriend thought I had gone completely mental as well, but she spends all her free time out there watching him.