New tortoise enclosure

mashton10

5 Year Member
Hi, I've just got rid of my vivarium and put it in my own indoor enclosure I made, the indoor enclosure is 9ft by 3ft. Within the viv is a uv light and heat light. There is also another heat lamp outside. Just wanted to know what everyone thinks, I've got to Herman's and thinking of getting a few more. Would anyone do anything different? Here's some pics... ImageUploadedByTortForum1382015580.648650.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1382015706.466053.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1382015815.144216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would use a different substrate, offer a humid hide box, and use a couple of terra cotta plant saucers for water.

mashton10

5 Year Member
I want know what's the best substrate to use? I want to start growing weeds in there for them to graze themselves?

I do have something for water I was just filling it up as taking the pictures.what would you use as a substrate? I thought inside the viv it would create a bit of a humid hideout?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It will be a little more humid inside the viv, but with the whole front open, it won't be all that much. A upside down dish washing tub over some damp substrate will do the job much better.

My favorite substrates are coco coir and orchid bark. Cypress mulch or plain soil with no additives can work too.

mashton10

5 Year Member
I've just been the pet shop and they have advised me not to buy this coco as it's gets the place to humid and Herman's don't like it be to humid, is this true? I got advised to buy a tortoise terrain mix, a mix of sand limestone and grit?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No, don't but that mix. It has sand and if ingested, can cause impaction. Also, by the looks of the carapace (shell) your tort has pyramiding due to lack of humidity, poor diet, and exercise. Orchard bark and soil or coco coir is best because it retains the humidity longer and better than other substrates without mold build-up. While Hermann's don't need as high humidity as other torts, it DOES need the humidity the substrate in his hide will provide. You'll learn that pet store employees don't know enough about the animals they sell, and often they give misinformation.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I use the eco earth coconut fiber and cypress mulch, it works great. You can grow plants in the coconut.