New Tortoise Owner - Advice Needed

CherylAnne

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
I am new to this forum (well for that matter any forum) and need some advice. I was given a baby African Spurred Tortoise (named Neo) and am unsure of the proper habitat, substrate and diet for this little guy. I have already spent a small fortune. I have been raising Florida Box Turtles and Yellow Belly Sliders for years but this is a whole different ball game from turtles. I live in Florida where the temperature is fairly warm I have my baby Sulcata in a 50 gal. Terrarium which has great ventilation. I have had him for about 6 weeks and over the last week or so he seems to be less active and a little lethargic. I was first told to use Alfalfa pellets as a substrate but then after reading up on this substrate decided it was not a great idea. The pellets molded fairly quickly. I then switched to a coconut fiber mixed with soil. I feed him dark leafy greens and let him graze outside during the day as well in his outdoor habitat that I created for him. Now all he wants to do is sleep.

Now that the cooler weather is coming I have added a basking lamp to his habitat to keep it warmer. I have seen him have some bubbles come out of his nose occasionaly and have read that this could be a respiratory infection. Every time I read up on something it contradicts the last thing I have read. I am confused at the proper care for this guy. I appreciate any help that I can get since I am a tortoise novice.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome!:) sulcatas grow fast i mean fast i have seen 4 year old 30 pounders. sulcatas are grassland species 90% grass/hay diet. in there cage i would recommend 75% humidity and 3 week soaks in room temp water for 15 minutes.

CherylAnne

Orlando, FL
I do have a few vets to call tomorrow (not easy to find a tortoise vet) and hopefully I find a good one.

CherylAnne

Orlando, FL
Yes I do have a UBV light but how do you insure 75% humidity. I have been soaking him but I just read a little more on soaking and I do not think I had the water temp high enough so I will adjust that. Please excuse my ignorance but I am not sure how to get the humidity right. Also should I be wetting down the substrate or leaving it dry. I really appreciate all of the posts and help. Love this little guy and want to raise a healthy tortoise.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Beautiful animals!! Welcome to TFO!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

CherylAnne

Orlando, FL
Yes we did build it ourselves. Being in Florida we have to clean the pond once a week which is a little bit of a pain. I will make sure that I make the substrate damp so and not so dry like it is now.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Cheryl welcome to the TFO from AZ. . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome! cute lil dude! be happy his unhappiness about waking up is still cute my tortoise ahs super grumpy eyes and a stare when I wake him up "too early" you'll discover they can have quite the 'tude... but you'll love it ;)