new tortoise owner advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilymay77

5 Year Member
I have recently bought a one year old horsefield tortoise for my daughter and on recommendation from the pet shop I got him from bought a vivarium with ventilation points on the side and back. It is three sides wooden with glass doors on the front, it has a UV light and ceramic heat lamp with a habistat system. the hot spot is set to about 90 degrees and cool area stays around 75 degrees. I'm worried after reading all the reports on tortoise trust that im harming him keeping him in there. I live in the UK in an old Victorian house which can get cold in the winter so had thought vivarium may be best but doubting this now. We only picked him up from the shop 2 days ago he did not eat on first day ate on second day and has not eaten today. Any advice welcome as I just want him to be happy and healthy. I'm thinking of getting a tortoise table as well if this helps? Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. I will let the more knowledgeable on your species help you out. However, your set up doesn't sound too off base. Also, they will take some time to settle in and get used to the fact you aren't a giant that is going to eat them. So give him/her some break in time and when you feed, walk away and let him eat with you in sight. Eventually, it won't be a problem that you are there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I prefer the type of enclosure that you already have. They all take a few days to settle in. Can you make the basking spot a little warmer, but not the rest of the enclosure? What sort of UV bulb are you using? The coil type cfl bulbs can hurt their eyes and make them not want to come out and eat.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. :)

Firstly let me reassure you that tortoises hate change and they adapt very slowly to a new enclosure. This means it can take weeks, if not months for your new tort to settle in properly!

Go on Amazon and get a Temperature Gun so you can measure enclosure temperatures accurately. You need 35C under the heat lamp.

Your Horsfield (otherwise known as Russian or RT on here) will be fine in a Vivarium, but as it gets bigger it will welcome a bigger enclosure and time outside. Take care as they are the Houdinis of the tortoise world. They can climb and burrow so make sure any enclosure is secure and keep an eye on him if he's outside!

The best way to get a tortoise to settle is to establish a routine so he knows what to expect and when. Use a timer for your lights and heat so they come on at the same time every day.

The routine should be lights on, heat on, soak (more on that later), feed then leave your tortoise alone. don't feel tempted to stand over him watching... it's very intimidating. Left alone, he'll start to be brave and go looking for food.

Soaking ensures your tortoise stays hydrated. this is very important when he's not eating properly. It also helps to get your tortoise used to being handled. (My soaking tips are here)

His diet should be leafy greens. He cannot digest sugar properly so fruit, including tomatoes and peppers should only be part of his diet very occasionally to stop him getting ill. Carrots are also high in sugars and have to count as a fruit in tortoise terms!

You can look up plants that you can buy in the supermarket or garden centre or ones that you find in your garden in the Tortoise Table Plant database to see if they are good to feed. This Plant Booklet is an excellent pictorial guide you can print off or have on your smart phone, if you have one, as a reference.

I know our glorious British weather is rubbish often, but is you can get him outside even for an hour or so when it's sunny, it will do him the world of good!

emilymay77

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I prefer the type of enclosure that you already have. They all take a few days to settle in. Can you make the basking spot a little warmer, but not the rest of the enclosure? What sort of UV bulb are you using? The coil type cfl bulbs can hurt their eyes and make them not want to come out and eat.

Hi thanks for the reply the UV light is a 30" strip light, reptiglow 10. it has a ceramic 150w heater I can turn the heat on that up but it raises the cool area slightly. He was active today when i took him outside into the sunshine but tends to just dig and hide in the corner of the viv when inside. Appreciate it is early days and he needs to settle in was just very worried after reading lots of bad reports about vivariums.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Digging and hiding is normal Russian behaviour especially when new and shy. They spend a huge amount of time underground in the wild; it's where they feel safe.

You can change the temperature under your Ceramic Heater by raising or lowering it.

Your UVB sounds fine :)

emilymay77

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Hello and welcome. :)

Firstly let me reassure you that tortoises hate change and they adapt very slowly to a new enclosure. This means it can take weeks, if not months for your new tort to settle in properly!

Go on Amazon and get a Temperature Gun so you can measure enclosure temperatures accurately. You need 35C under the heat lamp.

Your Horsfield (otherwise known as Russian or RT on here) will be fine in a Vivarium, but as it gets bigger it will welcome a bigger enclosure and time outside. Take care as they are the Houdinis of the tortoise world. They can climb and burrow so make sure any enclosure is secure and keep an eye on him if he's outside!

The best way to get a tortoise to settle is to establish a routine so he knows what to expect and when. Use a timer for your lights and heat so they come on at the same time every day.

The routine should be lights on, heat on, soak (more on that later), feed then leave your tortoise alone. don't feel tempted to stand over him watching... it's very intimidating. Left alone, he'll start to be brave and go looking for food.

Soaking ensures your tortoise stays hydrated. this is very important when he's not eating properly. It also helps to get your tortoise used to being handled. (My soaking tips are here)

His diet should be leafy greens. He cannot digest sugar properly so fruit, including tomatoes and peppers should only be part of his diet very occasionally to stop him getting ill. Carrots are also high in sugars and have to count as a fruit in tortoise terms!

You can look up plants that you can buy in the supermarket or garden centre or ones that you find in your garden in the Tortoise Table Plant database to see if they are good to feed. This Plant Booklet is an excellent pictorial guide you can print off or have on your smart phone, if you have one, as a reference.

I know our glorious British weather is rubbish often, but is you can get him outside even for an hour or so when it's sunny, it will do him the world of good!
Thanks so much for the advice that is very reassuring. I did take him outside today and he seemed to like it walking around lots. Im sure ill be asking lots more questions. I have the light on a timer but have not been switching heat off at night just turning it down slighly. Is it best to turn it off? thanks for your help.

emilymay77

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Digging and hiding is normal Russian behaviour especially when new and shy. They spend a huge amount of time underground in the wild; it's where they feel safe.

You can change the temperature under your Ceramic Heater by raising or lowering it.

Your UVB sounds fine :)

Thanks a lot for advice mush appreciated

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What is the actual measurements of the area that he uses?

emilymay77

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! What is the actual measurements of the area that he uses?

3 ft by 2 ft but starting to build an outdoor enclosure for sunny days.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Welcome! I have a vivarium and also live in the uk in a large Victorian house. I chose the vivarium mainly because of the house and our British weather! If you regulate your heat and light as advised for your tortoise and the temp gun gives off the correct readings I don't see why a vivarium is any different than a tortoise table. Think of that drafty house in winter!? ;) also, warm weather outside enclosure your tortoise will have the best if both !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Indoors at this time of year it really doesn't get cold enough to worry. When the basking lamp comes on, your tort will head for it and warm up.

In the middle of winter, you might need it on overnight. Try not to let the ambient temperature go below about 16C.

All lighting should be off overnight. Tortoises need darkness to sleep properly, just like humans :)

emilymay77

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Welcome! I have a vivarium and also live in the uk in a large Victorian house. I chose the vivarium mainly because of the house and our British weather! If you regulate your heat and light as advised for your tortoise and the temp gun gives off the correct readings I don't see why a vivarium is any different than a tortoise table. Think of that drafty house in winter!? ;) also, warm weather outside enclosure your tortoise will have the best if both !

thanks a lot so glad i found this forum site as it has been very reassuring. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.