New tortoise owner

Barbara Paris

Location (City and/or State)
Bullhead City, Arizona
hi. I am a new tortoise owner. I kind of rescued it from my niece who didn't really know she was harming him by keeping him in a tank in her very cold bedroom. so I adopted him from her and have built him a habitat in my yard.. it's not perfect yet but I'm researching and learning day by day. I know he is 4 years old but he is very small I'm sure to lack of space and sunshine and poor diet. he seems to really enjoy climbing the rocks and sitting in his little pool. but I can't seem to find out what kind of tortoise he is. if anyone can give me an idea on how to identify him id be very grateful as well as any advice on how to get him healthy and grow. is there certain kinds of plants I should plant for him? please help I want to give him

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here. We do need a picture to view so we may ID your torts for you.

You will post a photo soon, Right?

Welcome.

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
clydes habitat so far... still have alot of work to do but it's a lot better than that little fish tank

Attachments

• CAM00458.jpg
    CAM00458.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
how an I doing guys? this is all so new to me

Attachments

• CAM00460.jpg
    CAM00460.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • CAM00459.jpg
    CAM00459.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20140709_024439.jpg
    IMG_20140709_024439.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure what species your tort is. I'm guessing a CDT? (California desert tort). He is quite pyramided and seems to be quite flat too. It's really good you got him and are giving him a better life. The enclosure looks good for most torts, so your doing really good there and the sunshine will help him a lot. Good luck and I will get someone here to better ID him. @tortadise

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks like a Sonoran desert tortoise. Very similar to California desert tortoises. The black color would most likely be because of inadequate care, as you stated before. Appears to have metabolic bone disease as he is very flat and severely pyramided. All of that now seems to be of the past though. There is no reversing the issue though. The pics of your enclosure look great and is exactly what this guy needs. Being outside and able to get UVB,UVA rays from the natural sun. These guys are burrowers and are very efficient at digging. So keep that in mind when he starts digging that he can't get out. I'd offer a good big hide for him. Feed him grasses, lots of cactus flowers and pads, mulberry leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves and add some calcium on his food 3 times a week. You may want to soak this guy 3 times a week too with some bird vitamins to help balance his system and get him off to a better start that he will be in. Glad you took over this guy. Certainly he didn't deserve to be in a cold room with no lights.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my...the poor little guy. I'm so glad you've rescued him from your niece. He's in pretty bad shape and I hope you are able to bring him around. Kelly (tortadise) has given you some good information. Let's hope with good care the little guy can live a long life. Here's what he should look like:

04-23-12 c.jpg

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Barbara welcome to the TFO from Phx AZ . Here this might help a little . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404914988.652699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
thank you
I'm not sure what species your tort is. I'm guessing a CDT? (California desert tort). He is quite pyramided and seems to be quite flat too. It's really good you got him and are giving him a better life. The enclosure looks good for most torts, so your doing really good there and the sunshine will help him a lot. Good luck and I will get someone here to better ID him. @tortadise

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
thank you all for all your advice. I'm going to take him to a very asap. and get his habitat popin. never thought about owning a tortoise but I couldn't leave him there when she asked me if I wanted him because she felt bad for him because she never had time for him. and to my surprise I am really enjoying him. But I'm kind of concerned because of him being inside his entire life will putting him outside even with water and shelter be a shock to his system?...I live in bullhead city Arizona and it gets up too 120 degrees in the summer... I know he's a desert tortoise but I'm just concerned.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may have to water down the habitat frequently during those very hot days. Also, provide a nice, shady spot for him to get out of the sun. He may start to dig a burrow, and that would be good too . It's cooler underground.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
it's hard to see in the pics but I took 2x4 and made a little den...and packed the top and sides with mud to keepit cool...and I'm going to put Palm tree frans over his den and pool to keep it cooler.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Depends on the temperature and humidity, you can check the caresheets :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If there is no worry about night marauders, I'd leave him out 24/7.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif