New tortoise owner

Barbara Paris

Location (City and/or State)
Bullhead City, Arizona
Ok. it is very humid here right now with monsoon season. is that a problem? but were putting a tarp over it when rains to keep it from flooding but Arizona rains for like 5-10 min. at a time and we are so dry it soaks right up anyways but I did a little more work out there

Attachments

• IMG_20140709_093709.jpg
    IMG_20140709_093709.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20140709_093740.jpg
    IMG_20140709_093740.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
UOTE="tortadise, post: 893470, member: 19710"]Looks like a Sonoran desert tortoise. Very similar to California desert tortoises. The black color would most likely be because of inadequate care, as you stated before. Appears to have metabolic bone disease as he is very flat and severely pyramided. All of that now seems to be of the past though. There is no reversing the issue though. The pics of your enclosure look great and is exactly what this guy needs. Being outside and able to get UVB,UVA rays from the natural sun. These guys are burrowers and are very efficient at digging. So keep that in mind when he starts digging that he can't get out. I'd offer a good big hide for him. Feed him grasses, lots of cactus flowers and pads, mulberry leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves and add some calcium on his food 3 times a week. You may want to soak this guy 3 times a week too with some bird vitamins to help balance his system and get him off to a better start that he will be in. Glad you took over this guy. Certainly he didn't deserve to be in a cold room with no lights.[/QUOTE]

Will he still grow?

StaceyJ

Boston MA
Welcome! Mine was sort of the same situation.... I am currently working to do my best to get things going in the right direction. Good luck. Everyone here is great and you will get all the info you need here, and from a vet.

Barbara Paris

Bullhead City, Arizona
yes so I have noticed. I've gotten more support here than I would have ever dreamed of.. I'm really enjoying making him happy and hopefully I can make him grow... he's so small for being for years old..