newbie tortoise owner

Tracy Bain

Hi
Sorry this may be quite a long thread but i have just got a male horsfield tortoise from a friend as they couldnt look after him anymore he is around 3 or 4 years old and seems to be in pretty good shape, i got him with a 3ft by 1ft vivarium, he had very hard bark chips as substrate a tiny water dish and no working uv light or heat light, i cant really afford to buy him much until pay day at the end of the month so he is staying in the vivarium just now, i am planning on buying him a 5ft by 3ft tortoise table and have done alot of research on the internet and have learnt alot of info on how to look after him, i am trying to make his vivarium better for him in the meantime i have change the hard bark to a 50/50 mix of top soil and play sand, bought him bigger water and food dishes, installed a basking lamp but not a uv light yet,nd gave him a piece of bark and some stones for him to climb, i have also removed the front glass so some air can get into the vivarium, i was wondering if there is anything else i could do in the meantime to better his unsuitable vivarium just til i can buy him a table at the end of month. He does seem happy though, i know at my friends house he was left alone most of the time and seemed unenergetic only sitting in the corner most of the time, he is now sprinting constantly around the edge of the vivarium climbing on the bark and rocks as he goes, he runs round now from morning to night, also should i keep his basking lamp on in this enviroment all day or should i switch it on and off allowing for a cooling period. I am unable to put him outside at this time of year as i am in scotland and its starting to get pretty cold.

Tracy Bain

Thank you tortadise and im so sorry was so worried about getting my question out there i forgot to introduce myself. So hi im tracy, and have been a tortoise owner for 3 days, i live in scotland and until 3 days ago knew nothing about torts

margykid

Good save!! Could we see some pictures please?? We love pics.;)
What's your tortoises name!! He sounds great. Welcome to TFO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracy, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm glad you've joined our Forum prior to payday, because we can help you get the correct supplies so you don't waste your money getting the wrong stuff that the pet store will advise you to get.

For a full grown Russian tortoise, the tortoise table you plan to buy is not big enough. I would advise getting two very large plastic bins, cut out opposing ends and put them together. I would strive for at least 4'x8' for a full grown Russian tortoise.

Don't buy a spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulb. They are harmful to the tortoise's eyes. Get either a tube-type fluorescent bulb or a Mercury Vapor Bulb.

Don't buy the little waterers that come with a ramp - those are for snakes and lizards. A flower pot saucer a little bigger than the tortoise and sunk into the substrate works great.

Russian tortoises like to dig, so get a substrate that is easy to walk on and dig into. Coco coir works pretty good.

Go to http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm and read what he has to say about keeping Russian tortoises. And read this before payday!

Tracy Bain

Thank you margykid yvonne g and tyanna, his name is Franklin and he is a wee cutie.
I would not go to the pet shop for advice or supplies anyway Yvonne G i know it is mostly bad information and advice i am planning on buying everthing via the internet. My husband is also going to make the table so we could make it bigger than the size i thought and we will make it deep enough so he can dig, i have done huge amounts of research in the last 3 days and will do everything i can to make him happy

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tracey welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Russians rule . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum