new tortoise owner and basking temperature question

joe1234

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi guys, I'm a first-time tortoise owner for a hermann's tortoise hatchling. Is it fine for the basking temperature to be the ideal 95-100 F for only part of the day? I turn on the lights at 8 AM and it stays around 90 F for a while until slowly crawling up to 95 F around 3 PM. Should i try and get a stronger bulb to hit 95 F in the morning? The tortoise also never seems to go directly under the lamp and stays around it.

Attachments

• 456252180_1170052421179750_4671351899482152943_n.jpg
    456252180_1170052421179750_4671351899482152943_n.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 1
  • 455849580_509813054964802_1425204161485766800_n.jpg
    455849580_509813054964802_1425204161485766800_n.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 454528575_1880958882409240_1554810445473396320_n.jpg
    454528575_1880958882409240_1554810445473396320_n.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Gorgeous baby!

What kind of basking bulb is it you’re using and what watt?

Also what kind of indoor uv if any? I’m noticing a second dome, is that your uv? If so it looks to be a compact uv bulb which aren’t the best choice.

It can sometimes take a little while to warm up to the full 95-100, though it does sound like yours is taking a particularly long time, you don’t have it on a dimmer thermostat do you?

Love seeing that you have your baby in a closed chamber! They’re vital when it comes to maintaining the higher humidity babies need, what’s your humidity reading? Is it just coco coir you’re using?😊

Feel free to check out this thread below if there anything you want to double check too, I go over correct uv etc🙂

_The_Beast_

Canada
I had this problem as well when I first set up my enclosure. I ended up going with a higher wattage bulb (started with 60 watt, then 75, but it actually needed 100w) and then it reached ideal basking and cool-side temps much more quickly and sustained them really well. I did need to swap out my dome fixture as the one I bought at first couldn't handle the higher wattage, so be sure to double check what your fixture is able to handle before putting a new bulb in. You can also build up the amount of substrate to reduce the distance between the bulb and the basking area (limited of course by needing to still maintain a minimum distance between the bulb and ground).

joe1234

Maryland

Also what kind of indoor uv if any? I’m noticing a second dome, is that your uv? If so it looks to be a compact uv bulb which aren’t the best choice.

It can sometimes take a little while to warm up to the full 95-100, though it does sound like yours is taking a particularly long time, you don’t have it on a dimmer thermostat do you?

Love seeing that you have your baby in a closed chamber! They’re vital when it comes to maintaining the higher humidity babies need, what’s your humidity reading? Is it just coco coir you’re using?😊

Feel free to check out this thread below if there anything you want to double check too, I go over correct uv etc🙂

Thanks! I'm using an Arcadia 75 watt flood bulb. The second bulb is for my ceramic heat emitter to keep the temperature at 80 on the other side. For UVB I have the reptisun T5 HO strip bulb strapped on to the top of the enclosure. I don't have a dimming thermostat, so I was just wondering how long it took for other people to get the basking spot to warm up!

joe1234

Maryland
I had this problem as well when I first set up my enclosure. I ended up going with a higher wattage bulb (started with 60 watt, then 75, but it actually needed 100w) and then it reached ideal basking and cool-side temps much more quickly and sustained them really well. I did need to swap out my dome fixture as the one I bought at first couldn't handle the higher wattage, so be sure to double check what your fixture is able to handle before putting a new bulb in. You can also build up the amount of substrate to reduce the distance between the bulb and the basking area (limited of course by needing to still maintain a minimum distance between the bulb and ground).
Yea, I'm starting to think I'll need a 100 watt bulb. If I build up the dirt mound under the lamp any more the tort would have to climb up Mt. Everest every morning!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thanks! I'm using an Arcadia 75 watt flood bulb. The second bulb is for my ceramic heat emitter to keep the temperature at 80 on the other side. For UVB I have the reptisun T5 HO strip bulb strapped on to the top of the enclosure. I don't have a dimming thermostat, so I was just wondering how long it took for other people to get the basking spot to warm up!
Cool sounds good! 75w does usually do the trick for most, maybe you need the 100, but I think first I’d try raising the layer of substrate by an inch or two, to see if that helps with the temperature directly underneath, if not maybe try the higher bulb, just keep doing checks to make sure it’s staying a safe temperature underneath and the 100 isn’t overkill👍

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, I'm a first-time tortoise owner for a hermann's tortoise hatchling. Is it fine for the basking temperature to be the ideal 95-100 F for only part of the day? I turn on the lights at 8 AM and it stays around 90 F for a while until slowly crawling up to 95 F around 3 PM. Should i try and get a stronger bulb to hit 95 F in the morning? The tortoise also never seems to go directly under the lamp and stays around it.
I think what you have there is perfect as is. It simulates the way it happens outside as the heat of the day warms up. I wouldn't change anything. Your tortoise's behavior is also a good indicator that you have it right. If the tortoise sat under the lamp basking for hours in a futile attempt to warm up, then I would say to up the wattage. Since that is not the case, I vote to leave it as is.

Your enclosure looks nice, but you need to hand pack that coir. Its too loose and fluffy and it looks too dry.