New Tortoise Owner and question

DuckieGo

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello all,

We are the new owners of a baby sulcata tortoise he is about 3 to 4 inches. Fresh out the egg kinda. Anyways we are brand new and trying to start out right. I purchased a long rubbermaid livestock feeding tub because these things are huge and have lots of running around room without toooo much depth. We have a uvb light on one end a basking spot off soil hide micro climate humidity hide eccetra. I am doing daily soaks and the tortoise is eating and happy. However I have noticed my tort does not stay on the soil. He will go from point a to point b and scurried to not be on the soil too long which concerns me because that means he is only on the platform other than to eat and drink should I give him eatra soaks since he does not like getting dirty? Haha we are using slightly dampened coconut coir. Any input is appreciated.

DuckieGo

Oregon
I should add we are indoors and the heat is above 70 on the cool side and around 90 to 100 uvb side so I don't think it's a cold issue either

DuckieGo

Oregon
Hmm maybe we are just a tad to cool then on the shade side. I am going to bump things up another 5 degrees to maintain 80 and see if he becomes more interested in leaving the basking area thankyou much.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmm maybe we are just a tad to cool then on the shade side. I am going to bump things up another 5 degrees to maintain 80 and see if he becomes more interested in leaving the basking area thankyou much.

Definitely - there shouldn’t be a “cool” side or area at all, especially with a youngster/hatchling. Minimum 80 all over, plus your basking area (much warmer). Daily warm water soaks. Keep things humid & warm. Get a lid on your tank. Good moist substrate (not dirt). @Tom has this all very well covered in the link i included.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mark is giving you good info.

Shallow tubs are the worse type of enclosure to use. You can't maintain the needed humidity and heat in and open topped tub. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. It can't work.

Using basking bulbs is necessary for this species, but I prefer to discourage basking as much as possible by keeping the daytime ambient warmer. Around 90. This will reduce the desiccating effects that cause pyramiding.

That care sheet explains it all, and your questions are welcome.

DuckieGo

Oregon
And I hear you which is why I am here we have already redone things a few times in the last day or so trying to work out what suites best for our tortoise. However not having a lid is not what is going on here. But yes it is not perfected so to speak. I have some reptile tenure here so I was not going in blind. I don't want to discourage basking as the uvb is neccisary for health reasons but I don't want him completely staying there and drying up obviously. Currently I have a hand made wooden mesh topper this the uvb on one side and moist towels blanketed throughout to keep the moisture from escaping. However, this is not ideal long term as the humid warm air is still vented around the light but minimally. I've been comparing this with the design of the actual terrariums you see made for mister setups with the minimal front ventilation system which is on the mid front of these enclosures and the back with a glass top. I thought about mimicking this by cutting out from the structure and adding my own ventilation not based at the top of the enclosure and replacing the lid with something like a glass slate but any and all recommendation as I am trial and error through would be appreciated the goal is to allow heat from the top in without having the air vents at the top as heat and humidity rises so the actual humidity loss is minimal by while having air exchange is still possible as it's not healthy to completely seal for obvious reasons.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
I've never had a baby sulcata but thinking that instead of "trial and error," I'd probably just explicitly follow the care sheet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some people use mini portable greenhouses to put over their tables/tubs to help with temps and humidity. I don't know if that would that be an option for you.

DuckieGo

Oregon
Some people use mini portable greenhouses to put over their tables/tubs to help with temps and humidity. I don't know if that would that be an option for you.
That would also accommodate lighting I saw on Amazon there's some small ones that look decently sized for my particular setup which is nice I was worried Greenhouse type structures would have too much open space to maintain. I will try that also and see which methods have the most effective results thankyou ^^

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That would also accommodate lighting I saw on Amazon there's some small ones that look decently sized for my particular setup which is nice I was worried Greenhouse type structures would have too much open space to maintain. I will try that also and see which methods have the most effective results thankyou ^^
If you search in the Enclosures thread you may find some pictures from people who use them .

DuckieGo

Oregon
So I actually found something while shopping for mini greenhouses. I ended up bumping into a wooden single enclosure with just a glass slider in the front a glass top indoor lights and minimal sized side vents I might need to do a little diy with the glass to make the bottom area less transparent knock out all issues with one go til it outgrows it. Thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-090556.png
    Screenshot_20220423-090556.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty decent price. You may have to plug the vents on the sides. It's a bit small, but should work ok for a while. I wonder if you could put two together.

DuckieGo

Oregon
It's wood so would be rather simple to take out the back panel on two and do a little woodwork to put them together in a more house shape. Possibly a more in depth interior lining for deeper soil. I ordered it. It will work for the shorter term. But I also want to see how the lighting is set up inside to reproduce a more perfected version for the future larger sizes. Or just order a second haha we will see which is the more optimal method.

Trishk

Santa Barbara
Hello all,

We are the new owners of a baby sulcata tortoise he is about 3 to 4 inches. Fresh out the egg kinda. Anyways we are brand new and trying to start out right. I purchased a long rubbermaid livestock feeding tub because these things are huge and have lots of running around room without toooo much depth. We have a uvb light on one end a basking spot off soil hide micro climate humidity hide eccetra. I am doing daily soaks and the tortoise is eating and happy. However I have noticed my tort does not stay on the soil. He will go from point a to point b and scurried to not be on the soil too long which concerns me because that means he is only on the platform other than to eat and drink should I give him eatra soaks since he does not like getting dirty? Haha we are using slightly dampened coconut coir. Any input is appreciated.
9D3D74A6-B5AF-4F9D-8759-2D268AA3824A.jpeg
Hi I am new to
tortoises too. I have a reptizoo terrarium. I bought a piece of plexiglass on Amazon for the top. Still not ideal but I mist alot and soak my little tortie daily. I found my hatchling on my property when it still had a little opening at the belly button so it was very young only 2 inches and one and a half ounces. Now is 7 months old and 6.3 ounces. Seems pretty healthy I get her out for exercise and sunshine daily weather permitting. Have fun!

Attachments

• F8329B29-8058-4F46-BA3F-F84FC21AAE24.jpeg
    F8329B29-8058-4F46-BA3F-F84FC21AAE24.jpeg
    758.4 KB · Views: 4

Hzwolun

Fairfax County VA
for babies need to make sure you have high humid+temp recommend least 75degrees at the cool side 85-95 at the basket area. for humidity recommend is 70%+ close enclosure helps. mist least once a day, soak them once a day prefer. Of couse hide spot/water bowl/ food bowl etc. Usually babies sleep more so try not be too touchy.
for nutrition-wise is easy: calcium 1-2times a week, mix of mazuri and greens