New tortoise owner, eager to level up his herp husbandry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Hello, everyone. New to torts, the forums, and most likely new to all of you as well. My name is Joe - and more importantly, my months old marginated is named Daedalus, a.k.a. Deedle, Deeds, etc..

Some pictures, since I hear you guys like them:

He welcomes you into his (recently abandones and upgraded) 'crib.'

Om...

Nom!

Got the itis. In the pool, sippin' a Mai Tai

But despite the gluttony and sloth, he is rather regal.

And a couple of videos?

Deedle eats...again!

Deedle om noms, revisited.

So basically, Deedle eats. And sleeps, sleeps, then sleeps some more. And we amuse ourselves by enabling such behaviors.

Apologies for the deluge of Deedle data, but I think he's rather cute and hope you'll overlook it. :)

P.S. In case little one's name seems like a rip-off, or if my pics wind up looking familiar, I just recently bought Deedle for Laura...so that is why our torts are so similar. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Joe:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

So, are you telling us the you and funkycowsd (Laura) are in the same household?

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Hi

Have already welcomed Laura and your marvellously Greek named Tort! Welcome to you as well!!

jkingler

5 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcomes. :)

A: Yes, I do indeed live with Laura (and if you prefer to use her nome de plume, you could instead say that 'funkycowsd and I share a household'). Deedle, being all calm benevolence, seems to tolerate our presence thus far.

Q: Just wondering, what is the significance of the numbers and species in all the signatures? It is obviously indicating that the poster in question owns the listed animals (children included), but I haven't decoded the numbering scheme (e.g. 1.0.2, 0.0.1, etc.). Care to explain? I'd happily accept any decoder rings or Rosetta Stones you may have handy.

P.S. Sorry for not being able to clean up the failed hyperlinks in my original post. Your forum is foreign to me, but it says in no uncertain terms that I cannot edit posts after 30 minutes have passed. :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joe:

1.2.7 means that there are one male, two females and 7 unknown or too young to sex.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum!!! Congrats on your new family member! Marginateds are such gorgeous tortoises. I hope to own one myself someday!

The numbers basically mean Male.Female.Unknown. First number (1.0.0) indicates how many males of that animal the person has; second number (0.1.0) indicates how many females; third number (0.0.1) means how many unsexed animals. Sometimes you see a fourth number (0.0.0.1) which indicates how many eggs that person has in the incubator.

So, take, for example, if someone's signature says 1.4.3.6 Russian Tortoises. That person has 1 Male, 4 female, and 3 unsexed Russians, plus 6 Russian tortoise eggs incubating. :)

jkingler

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! I guess that makes me...

0.1.0 Laura funkycheloniana
0.0.1 Deedle/Testudo marginata

How fancy! Loving it. May have to change my signature to include those and join you all in perplexing the uninitiated. ;)

To keep the pics rolling in (since I think we may be becoming tort-camwhores)...

Behold, his new, probably long term home, Deedadu, a.k.a. Tortlair 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.