New tortoise owner (russian tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortisimo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
Today I'm getting my first tortoise, a russian tortoise. He is male, and about 5 (he was caught in the wild, so I don't know his exact age). Before I get him, I would like to have his home ready. I've already chosen him out. He has been treated for parasites, and looks very healthy and happy. He was the more lively of the 2 in the pet store. I'm going to name him a week after I get him so I have some idea of his personality.
I have a 50 gallon rubbermade bin. For substrate, I'm thinking of using 50% coir, 50% sand (is this good?). I'll have a mounted heatlamp on one side for basking in. I'm going to put in 3 hiding spots, one near his basking spot, one in the middle, and one far away from his basking spot, so he can hide at whatever temperature he wants. I'm going to put in a cuddle bone in for him to get calcium. I'm planning on having a sperate soaking/pooping/drinking bin so that I dont have to clean a water bowl every day. Once the weather gets warmer I want to give him an out-door enclosure.
Anything wrong with any of this? Anything else I need to keep him healthy/happy? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
(sorry, no pictures, I haven't gotten him yet)

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Sounds all very well thought out. :) We've had our two Russians a week now, and they are doing well. I also have mine in separate Rubbermaid totes (for storing Xmas trees). It is all a learning process!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tortisimo!

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
You need a UVB lamp, I use zilla desert 5.0 its perfect for russians. It needs to be 12 inches from the ground for it to work properly. Your male is most likely more than 5. If you Measure him from front to back on his plastorn (undershell) If he is 4-5 inches he is full grown. Then he is more like 12 or older who really knows due to the fact that he is wild caught. Your idea of a seprate area for doing business is a waste of time. Just do everthing in the one tub. Feed him on a flat rock or a terracotta plant dish it will help keep his beak filed down. Your going to have to clean up poop/pee and food on a daily basis. they are messy. And it will smell if you dont. As for the water issue I soak my girl every 3 days, she stays very hydrated. So I dont keep a water dish in her enclosure. She never used it anyway. Use warm water. You will have to change it becaue they poop in it. I do it about 3x in 20 min. And then she is good. Have about 4 in of substrate. Your 50/50 works fine. Good luck! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) ALWAYS keep a water dish in for him 24/7 you will need it to be large enough for him to get in and out if he chooses. You most likely will not know if he uses it or not, unless you are watching him 24/7. Sand can cause impaction. It's fine to mix with the coir, but not needed. I would mix it thought more like 60/40 or 70/30, more coir then sand. Good luck and enjoy.

jeninak907 said:
You need a UVB lamp, I use zilla desert 5.0 its perfect for russians. It needs to be 12 inches from the ground for it to work properly. Your male is most likely more than 5. If you Measure him from front to back on his plastorn (undershell) If he is 4-5 inches he is full grown. Then he is more like 12 or older who really knows due to the fact that he is wild caught. Your idea of a seprate area for doing business is a waste of time. Just do everthing in the one tub. Feed him on a flat rock or a terracotta plant dish it will help keep his beak filed down. Your going to have to clean up poop/pee and food on a daily basis. they are messy. And it will smell if you dont. As for the water issue I soak my girl every 3 days, she stays very hydrated. So I dont keep a water dish in her enclosure. She never used it anyway. Use warm water. You will have to change it becaue they poop in it. I do it about 3x in 20 min. And then she is good. Have about 4 in of substrate. Your 50/50 works fine. Good luck! :)

Water should be available 24/7!

Status
Not open for further replies.