New tortoise owner

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Let me explain, this tort was handed over to me by someone who couldn’t take care of him anymore! The lid is the original! I guess he thought it needed holes for him to breath!
Oh! You said it was in the cart...I'm easily confused. ?

Let's put that on hold for a bit...

Your life would be much easier, and your tort better off, if he was in a closed chamber enclosure. That means that the top is covered...there is nothing open to the room air. It makes it easy to maintain the heat and humidity he needs.

This is the easiest way for you to do that. It's called a grow tent. Here are a couple pics of them being used, and an Amazon link. We have a member who can walk you through the entire process of setting it up.

20200817_201932.jpg

20200601_124955.jpg

Grow tent 4'x2'x2'
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If you are able to get this now, order it. It will solve so many problems and you won't buy anything that won't be used. Your tort should be able to live in this until he's big enough to live outside full time.

If you're willing, order this tonight. Then we can get him all set up.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The sink is to narrow, I’m afraid he’ll drown! I don’t want his whole head to be in the water! I don’t think non of my sinks are flat!
Only thing I can think of is our tub!
So the water has to be hot? Is there a thermistor that I need for that too?
Is the digital thing I ordered good enough??
You just put a couple inches of water in. You can use a bin of some kind in the sink or tub. You want the water to come up just over where his upper and lower shells meet.

It's not hot. 90-95° is slightly warmer than lukewarm. Put a drop on your wrist...if you'd put a baby in it, it's good. You can use a meat thermometer if you don't have any other.

The little square thermometer/hygrometer that you ordered is good. It can't be used in water though. But you'll use it all the time in the enclosure. It would be good if you ordered 3 more.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You just put a couple inches of water in. You can use a bin of some kind in the sink or tub. You want the water to come up just over where his upper and lower shells meet.

It's not hot. 90-95° is slightly warmer than lukewarm. Put a drop on your wrist...if you'd put a baby in it, it's good. You can use a meat thermometer if you don't have any other.

The little square thermometer/hygrometer that you ordered is good. It can't be used in water though. But you'll use it all the time in the enclosure. It would be good if you ordered 3 more.
Lord have mercy...I’m out of budget for 3 more ??
I’ll work with just the one for now..maybe I’ll consider getting the one you posted!! I don’t think I even have a meat one either ??

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
These are next on my list! Let me know if there’s something I need too cross off ASAP!! And any recommendations in what I should get instead are welcome! I want the very best for baby tort! ???

You can get the half log and the basking rock. None of the rest.

The carpet won't be used.
The dishes aren't good.
The tort enclosure is not a closed chamber.
Torts don't play with balls.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You can get the half log and the basking rock. None of the rest.

The carpet won't be used.
The dishes aren't good.
The tort enclosure is not a closed chamber.
Torts don't play with balls.
?? i saw somewhere they did ! Something with interactments for fun with their food! I been readying on a lot of sources as you can see!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lord have mercy...I’m out of budget for 3 more ??
I’ll work with just the one for now..maybe I’ll consider getting the one you posted!! I don’t think I even have a meat one either ??
OK. Maybe later. You'll want a temp gun too somewhere along the line. You point a laser at anything and it tells you the temp of the object.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
?? i saw somewhere they did ! Something with interactments for fun with their food! I been readying on a lot of sources as you can see!!
When torts push balls, it's because the tort sees the ball as an intruder in his territory. He tries to get it out of his enclosure. It's an agressive action, and he's stressed. Not everyone agrees with that statement. They think the tort is having fun. Decide for yourself.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Only asking cause I considered getting it for proper lighting!! It’s good for both inside and outside and you could double it if needed!!

They really don't work out well. They are way too small for anything larger than a tiny hatchling. Save your money.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Ok recommendation on where to set the one you recommended because I actually have him currently in my room downstairs! Should I have him be in his proper place with the one who suggested? How big really is it?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok recommendation on where to set the one you recommended because I actually have him currently in my room downstairs! Should I have him be in his proper place with the one who suggested? How big really is it?

The grow tent is 4 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 2 ft high. You can put it anywhere you want as long as you have access to the front of it.

I think they're pretty, and the members using them say they work great.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Oh! You said it was in the cart...I'm easily confused. ?

Let's put that on hold for a bit...

Your life would be much easier, and your tort better off, if he was in a closed chamber enclosure. That means that the top is covered...there is nothing open to the room air. It makes it easy to maintain the heat and humidity he needs.

This is the easiest way for you to do that. It's called a grow tent. Here are a couple pics of them being used, and an Amazon link. We have a member who can walk you through the entire process of setting it up.

View attachment 315281

View attachment 315282

Grow tent 4'x2'x2'
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If you are able to get this now, order it. It will solve so many problems and you won't buy anything that won't be used. Your tort should be able to live in this until he's big enough to live outside full time.

If you're willing, order this tonight. Then we can get him all set up.
Hmm I seen a few bad reviews on this!!
idk...zipper problems is the pain issue!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Hmm I seen a few bad reviews on this!!
idk...zipper problems is the pain issue!
It looks huge...I sought I’ll be able to put him in my living and dinning area now!
I don’t even think I have a big enough dresser for this thing either! ?