New tortoise owner

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Also what is the suggestion for UVB? He actually stays in doors often! Should I buy an extra light bulb heater thing or what?
I take him out side for some UV from sun but one issue I run into is it’s still pretty chill out where I currently live! Remember I have a plastic enclosure for him for the time being!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Im on it, prob is..how can I put his light up if I don’t have a proper enclosure yet for him to have his light! I have no problem on getting the light from Home Depot tomorrow! His enclosure is plastic right now...and I have him in towels since I got rid of the dirt!
Suggestions in food? Cause all I have right now is pellets ??

You need to hang the light fixture above the plastic bin. Do you have the lid for the bin? If you do, we can tell you how to do the light. If you don't have it, you will need to find a piece of plexiglass, or a piece of plywood, to cover the bin.

In post # 4, there is a huge list of food items. Now, in the winter, you need to get greens from the grocery store. Read that post carefully...it's all explained in it.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You need to hang the light fixture above the plastic bin. Do you have the lid for the bin? If you do, we can tell you how to do the light. If you don't have it, you will need to find a piece of plexiglass, or a piece of plywood, to cover the bin.

In post # 4, there is a huge list of food items. Now, in the winter, you need to get greens from the grocery store. Read that post carefully...it's all explained in it.
Yes i have the lid, and it has holes in it! Will this even work??

Attachments

• 619B84CE-43FF-4B7E-98EF-2998C2394613.png
    619B84CE-43FF-4B7E-98EF-2998C2394613.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 10

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I talked to a native plant dispensary in California! I left them messages! I’m considering getting him native plants for occasional feeds! I thought you couldn’t feed it foods from the grocery store! I’m so confused now!!

Any plants you buy commercially will have pesticides in them. You have to repot them and wait a year to put them in the enclosure or feed them. If you can get cuttings from friends or family, that's best.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Any plants you buy commercially will have pesticides in them. You have to repot them and wait a year to put them in the enclosure or feed them. If you can get cuttings from friends or family, that's best.
This was actually a website from the sheets! Not sure if it was the updated one or the old one though!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes i have the lid, and it has holes in it! Will this even work??

Yes, that would work. But don't spend that money just yet. There are other ways.

The lid...what kind of holes? Can you shoot me a pic? Also, I need to think about going to bed soon. We can't do all of this tonight. Read the posts again. Some of your answers are in them.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also what is the suggestion for UVB? He actually stays in doors often! Should I buy an extra light bulb heater thing or what?
I take him out side for some UV from sun but one issue I run into is it’s still pretty chill out where I currently live! Remember I have a plastic enclosure for him for the time being!

For right now, just hold off on the UVB. He'll be fine until we get all this other stuff taken care of.

It's too cold for him outside now. Only take him out if it's over 80°F.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Yes, that would work. But don't spend that money just yet. There are other ways.

The lid...what kind of holes? Can you shoot me a pic? Also, I need to think about going to bed soon. We can't do all of this tonight. Read the posts again. Some of your answers are in them.
Yes, i can send pic! I haven’t bought it yet, it’s in the cart! Thinking on returning the other light first thing tomorrow! He needs his light ASAP!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 18

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
For right now, just hold off on the UVB. He'll be fine until we get all this other stuff taken care of.

It's too cold for him outside now. Only take him out if it's over 80°F.
? noted! Since the water i put in a plastic container gets cold to quickly..what do you suggest me do?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, i can send pic! I haven’t bought it yet, it’s in the cart! Thinking on returning the other light first thing tomorrow! He needs his light ASAP!!

You're ordering the lid for the bin he's in? Don't you have the one that came with the bin?

You do not want holes in the lid. Don't get it if it has holes.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Let me explain, this tort was handed over to me by someone who couldn’t take care of him anymore! The lid is the original! I guess he thought it needed holes for him to breath!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
The sink is to narrow, I’m afraid he’ll drown! I don’t want his whole head to be in the water! I don’t think non of my sinks are flat!
Only thing I can think of is our tub!
So the water has to be hot? Is there a thermistor that I need for that too?
Is the digital thing I ordered good enough??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
The sink is to narrow, I’m afraid he’ll drown! I don’t want his whole head to be in the water! I don’t think non of my sinks are flat!
Only thing I can think of is our tub!
So the water has to be hot? Is there a thermistor that I need for that too?
Is the digital thing I ordered good enough??
Also, I already went into Amazon to get the return label for light! Let me know if there’s anything else I need to return back! I lost track on my expense already! Anyways...we’ll pick this up in a few hours!!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Also, I already went into Amazon to get the return label for light! Let me know if there’s anything else I need to return back! I lost track on my expense already! Anyways...we’ll pick this up in a few hours!!
These are next on my list! Let me know if there’s something I need too cross off ASAP!! And any recommendations in what I should get instead are welcome! I want the very best for baby tort! ???

Attachments

• 20A5E5AA-9622-44C5-AEA0-0B93A929AA22.png
    20A5E5AA-9622-44C5-AEA0-0B93A929AA22.png
    343.9 KB · Views: 15