New tortoise owner

RockyRoxster

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey
Hi there, I am completely new to tortoises and have just collected our 6 month old Greek Spur -we love him (or her!)

But I have a question - he has settled in well, lamp goes on at 6.30 am, he gets up at 7, eats, wanders around but then goes back to bed at about midday and we don’t see him until next day!

Is this normal and if asleep from midday, does the basking lamp “need” to be on or could we switch it off.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. What lights are you using? Post pictures of the enclosure too.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
It's normal for them to sleep a lot and hide a lot when they are young and adapting to the new environement.

But to be sure that everything's right, could you tell us what are temperatures in the enclosure (day and night, under basking lamp and in the colder part), what heating and lightning do you use and maybe post a photo of your setup? Sometimes wrong light and temperatures or too open space make them to hide a lot.

RockyRoxster

Surrey
Sure, it’s a uvb/uva lamp and is 30 deg underneath and in the far corner by the food it’s about 23/24 deg

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Tom will be the author of the info you need. I am new to this whole technology thing and do not know how to post, put, show (whatever the hell it's called) the thread about new tort owners. I do know how to "Tag" someone, so I did that. I can tell you this though ...
The enclosure you have your tort in HAS to have a lid. You CAN NOT keep the heat and humidity in with that type of enclosure (Open). Also without a Solar Meter you have NO idea if the tort is getting the proper UVB. It's morning here on the west coast so the Experts are just starting to wake up. Please do not get your feelings hurt when you are told "That's all wrong"....You are already in the camp of "Something might be off" so your about to here what you are doing wrong. So glad you are trying to do the absolute best for your guy/gal. WELCOME

RockyRoxster

Surrey
@Tom will be the author of the info you need. I am new to this whole technology thing and do not know how to post, put, show (whatever the hell it's called) the thread about new tort owners. I do know how to "Tag" someone, so I did that. I can tell you this though ...
The enclosure you have your tort in HAS to have a lid. You CAN NOT keep the heat and humidity in with that type of enclosure (Open). Also without a Solar Meter you have NO idea if the tort is getting the proper UVB. It's morning here on the west coast so the Experts are just starting to wake up. Please do not get your feelings hurt when you are told "That's all wrong"....You are already in the camp of "Something might be off" so your about to here what you are doing wrong. So glad you are trying to do the absolute best for your guy/gal. WELCOME
Thank you for your comment - but I have been told that the set up is perfect from our reptile shop som confused. I,ve not heard anyone in the uk saying the enclosure should be covered! Now I’m worried

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thank you for your comment - but I have been told that the set up is perfect from our reptile shop som confused. I,ve not heard anyone in the uk saying the enclosure should be covered! Now I’m worried
Your reptile shop might as well of given you info on Tire Changes, cause they KNOW nothing about the PROPER CARE of torts....this is very common to be led down the wrong path by idiot pet store turds

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Torts need Humidity, there is no way to do that when the top is open....there goes the heat to...it rises.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The setup is neat, perhaps temperature needs some adjustment: about 25-26C ambient at the daytime and a basking zone closer to 35C (but I would not lower the basking lamp as you might get dangerous UV levels).

I see a few "red flags":
1. Small pebbles in the substrate will be eaten and might cause lethal impaction. The best substrate option is the orchid bark (fir bark), SwellReptile sells it under it's brand relatively cheap. Unfortunately I'm not aware if you can get it cheaper from garden centers or plant nurseries in the UK.
2. The ramped water dish *may be* a flipping and drowning hazard for smaller tortoises. Shallow terracotta saucer is a better option.

Other goes as "yellow flags" for me:
1. Most likely, the basking/UVB lamp is a halogen or mercury vapour bulb. While they are fine for many other reptiles, they could be too desiccating for new keratin growth of the shell, which results in bumpy shell ("pyramiding"). Also it can be a struggle to balance between safe UVB level and basking zone temperature. Recommended temperature under the lamp is 35-38C and if you lower bulb to achieve that UV might be harmful for tortoise eyes.
2. Baby tortoises need higher ambient humidity in the enclosure to support smooth growth (about 70-75%) and stable ambient temperatures (23-24C, if it's the night minimum, is fine). That's why "closed chamber" is recommended - it's easier to maintain such environment.

You can find detailed care sheet with details on lights and heating to use, temperature guides, routines and diet here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Please, ask questions, if any!

RockyRoxster

Surrey
The setup is neat, perhaps temperature needs some adjustment: about 25-26C ambient at the daytime and a basking zone closer to 35C (but I would not lower the basking lamp as you might get dangerous UV levels).

I see a few "red flags":
1. Small pebbles in the substrate will be eaten and might cause lethal impaction. The best substrate option is the orchid bark (fir bark), SwellReptile sells it under it's brand relatively cheap. Unfortunately I'm not aware if you can get it cheaper from garden centers or plant nurseries in the UK.
2. The ramped water dish *may be* a flipping and drowning hazard for smaller tortoises. Shallow terracotta saucer is a better option.

Other goes as "yellow flags" for me:
1. Most likely, the basking/UVB lamp is a halogen or mercury vapour bulb. While they are fine for many other reptiles, they could be too desiccating for new keratin growth of the shell, which results in bumpy shell ("pyramiding"). Also it can be a struggle to balance between safe UVB level and basking zone temperature. Recommended temperature under the lamp is 35-38C and if you lower bulb to achieve that UV might be harmful for tortoise eyes.
2. Baby tortoises need higher ambient humidity in the enclosure to support smooth growth (about 70-75%) and stable ambient temperatures (23-24C, if it's the night minimum, is fine). That's why "closed chamber" is recommended - it's easier to maintain such environment.

You can find detailed care sheet with details on lights and heating to use, temperature guides, routines and diet here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Please, ask questions, if any!
Thank you. I’ve actually got a different water tray coming as I was concerned too.
The tiny pebbles aren’t pebbles- it’s part of the substrate mix that I bought for tortoises
With the lamp, I’m not sure how I can change the temperature?
And as for closed table- I’m not sure why I wouldn’t have been told to do this - it’s a very reputable reptile place so I will talk to them again. Thank you.
All this is very new to me! I thought I’d done loads of research!
How can I enclose the table we have??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Because this Forum is on a wave of more correct care and less deaths...Your reptile told you outdated information...if this was 20 years ago, that was the proper information, and the tortoise would have grown deformed or dead, but now we know better...but old habits die hard and maybe you need to go to your Reptile guy with the information we have provided for you...here is what I keep a tortoise in...they need humidity for healthy growth...DSCN0987.JPG
Have I understood that there is small pebbles in his substrate? That's bad...

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. Perhaps, you have a "tortoise edible substrate" with limestone pieces in it, it has the very same risks.
2. If you enclose the table, this will raise ambient temperatures. But with a basking zone would be best to use separate basking and UVB bulbs (incandescent lamp for the heat and fluorescent T5 tube for the UVB).
3. There are different conflicting opinions on this. An older information was that humidity has minimal impact on pyramiding, but can cause respiratory infections (which is true, but only when temperatures are too low). More modern approach and supported by recent research is that low humidity and desiccation of the grow zones is the cause, not a diet or growth speed. And another point is that in UK, ambient humidity in the house can be high (but not as high and stable as it should be).
4. The easiest way to enclose the table is to find a portable greenhouse top and put it over the table.