New tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

trusty

5 Year Member
WELL as you know I bought a new leopard,,,, she is now in her new home but won;t come out of her shell so I have just left her in peace.. I wanted to know where I should put her as she is under her UV heat lamp,,, will she move away if she gets too hot or should I move her from underneath it,, she didn;t put herself there I put her there... she is approx 10-12cm not measured her yet as I don't want to keep disturbing her!!!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
You can either just leave her in the current spot or place her in the hide and leave here there. Some leopards are very shy.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Just let her be. Babies hide and sleep a lot, when they are small like that they tend to be very why because everything is a predator. It will learn your not a predator and start coming out if its shell. Leopard babies I found to be one of the shyest hatchlings, as adults tho they are great. I usually just leave any new tortoises alone for the first week, offering it food, and maybe a soak, besides that they need to adjust with no stress

Ps. A lot of people think tortoise walk around a lot and for the most part they are active certain parts of the day and tend to sleep a lot especially mid day. Just got to be patient.

trusty

5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
Just let her be. Babies hide and sleep a lot, when they are small like that they tend to be very why because everything is a predator. It will learn your not a predator and start coming out if its shell. Leopard babies I found to be one of the shyest hatchlings, as adults tho they are great. I usually just leave any new tortoises alone for the first week, offering it food, and maybe a soak, besides that they need to adjust with no stress

Ps. A lot of people think tortoise walk around a lot and for the most part they are active certain parts of the day and tend to sleep a lot especially mid day. Just got to be patient.

I was a little concerned as I bought her from a pet shop that transport them,,, so she left for her journey yesterday and arrived today,, I opened her box while the courrier was here and she was upside down :( SO I would imagine she is very stressed and unhappy as I was VERY unhappy..... I just was worried she would get TOO hot under the UV heat lamp but I placed her there initially as I figured she might of been cold!!

HERE she is what do u all think of her..?? Does her shell look OK

Attachments

• SAM_0418.JPG
    SAM_0418.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 83

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
She's starting to pyramid a tad, but she's you g enough where she will smooth out and you will never notice. She just looks very shy, it will take her awhile to get used to you. I've had one like this and it took about month ad a half before she was not so scared. It takes time. Just offer food and let her see you drop food off cuz that will help her say she's just a giant food delivery service type of animal, not a predator. Keep is updated tho. Have you soaked her in warm water when you got her? I usually do that out of the box so they can hydrate and warm up

trusty

5 Year Member
trusty said:
Millerlite said:

I was a little concerned as I bought her from a pet shop that transport them,,, so she left for her journey yesterday and arrived today,, I opened her box while the courrier was here and she was upside down :( SO I would imagine she is very stressed and unhappy as I was VERY unhappy..... I just was worried she would get TOO hot under the UV heat lamp but I placed her there initially as I figured she might of been cold!!

AH I caught her out when I went to get something out of the freezer,,, she has eaten a dandelion leaf I had put on the slate and has turned around,, she soon went back in when she saw me though!! Here is a closer pic of her

trusty said:
trusty said:
Millerlite said:

AH I caught her out when I went to get something out of the freezer,,, she has eaten a dandelion leaf I had put on the slate and has turned around,, she soon went back in when she saw me though!! Here is a closer pic of her

Yes I did think she was pyramiding slightly..... I did soak her for 10 minutes in warm water and she still did not come out her shell,, cannot blame her though,, I am not worried she has eaten something and I know she has been out I was just concerned that she would get too hot under the heat lamp!!!! THANKS x

Attachments

• SAM_0420.JPG
    SAM_0420.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 75

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah I would not place her under it, just let her regulate her temp. You don't want to overheat it

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Keep her warm, somewhere in the 90 to 100 degree range and keep the enclosure humid. Make sure it doesn't go below 80 degrees at night. Give her a gentle warm spray 3 or 4 times a day if you can and a warm soak everyday for about 20 minutes. She's shy right now, had a long uncomfortable trip, but she will figure out soon that you're not there to hurt her. Keep offering food, but don't force it on her. Good luck, let us know how she's doing.

trusty

5 Year Member
mchong9606 said:
Keep her warm, somewhere in the 90 to 100 degree range and keep the enclosure humid. Make sure it doesn't go below 80 degrees at night. Give her a gentle warm spray 3 or 4 times a day if you can and a warm soak everyday for about 20 minutes. She's shy right now, had a long uncomfortable trip, but she will figure out soon that you're not there to hurt her. Keep offering food, but don't force it on her. Good luck, let us know how she's doing.

I have pretty much left her alone,,, she has eaten 2 dandelion leaves and a rose leaf,, she moved from under the uv heat basking spot to accross the other side where side snuggled inbetween her house and the terracotta pot... The night heat lamp is now on. I have seen her fully out and she is fine if you go in its only if you approach her she hides.. or move too fast!!!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
trusty said:
mchong9606 said:

I have pretty much left her alone,,, she has eaten 2 dandelion leaves and a rose leaf,, she moved from under the uv heat basking spot to accross the other side where side snuggled inbetween her house and the terracotta pot... The night heat lamp is now on. I have seen her fully out and she is fine if you go in its only if you approach her she hides.. or move too fast!!!

What kind of night heat lamp do you have? Does it emit any light? If it's night time for her, it should be in complete darkness for proper sleep. Most keepers use a ceramic heat emitter CHE. It provides just heat, no light.

trusty

5 Year Member
mchong9606 said:
trusty said:
mchong9606 said:

What kind of night heat lamp do you have? Does it emit any light? If it's night time for her, it should be in complete darkness for proper sleep. Most keepers use a ceramic heat emitter CHE. It provides just heat, no light.

YES I turn her uv/heat off after 12/13 hours and put the ceramic CHE on which has no light just the heat... How high should I hang the ceramic??

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
trusty said:
mchong9606 said:
trusty said:
mchong9606 said:

YES I turn her uv/heat off after 12/13 hours and put the ceramic CHE on which has no light just the heat... How high should I hang the ceramic??

The height of the CHE would be around 12 to 16 inches...not too close to anything as it gets rather warm providing heat for the enclosure. But it should be able to warm the air to around 80 degrees if your enclosure is a humid one (which I think is best).

Status
Not open for further replies.