Leopard Tortoise tipping his/herself over

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverKentValley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a one year old Leopard Tortoise that I have had since he/she was newly hatched - her/his name is Liebe. Ever since I've had Liebe, she has always liked going on something high, purposefully going to the edge, and falling off. And she will do it repetitively throughout the day, and always tips herself upright. I was wonder if this is normal for young Leos. Because lately, she has gone to tip herself over, and she doesn't try to tip herself upright. She just lays on her shell, until I get too worried and I put her upright myself.
Should I allow her to continue doing this by putting hunts for her climb in her tank? Or is this normal behavior? P.S I am aware that it can be fatal for a tortoise to be on their shell for a long period of time.

P.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This could be a problem if you are not always there to flip her over.

This is very common with young tortoises. If it is happening a lot, I would suggest removing the obstacles from the enclosure that it is climbing on.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
She is lucky she can tip herself back over. My adults cannot for some reason. If they tip, they will lay there a while until I find them, which has only been twice luckily. Even in my backyard, I remove all obstacles that they can fall off of to tip over. The one thing I can't remove if when they tip over while trying to mount each other... :p

You probably want to remove the high parts until she gets a bit bigger and stops the falling over fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.