New Tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherkearney1

5 Year Member
I got a Russian Tortoise, and some sort of box turtle today! I'm So excited! They are so active! Any pointers are the Russian are welcome! And I will post pics of the unknown Box in the next post.

Attachments

• 50FDE1C3-B9B7-45C0-87A1-86D6B5405FC1.jpeg
    50FDE1C3-B9B7-45C0-87A1-86D6B5405FC1.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 58

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My goodness, you just jumped right in with both feet. It was only a couple of posts ago you just had a sulcata and a turtle. Nice-looking little Russian tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you have the space and money to do so..awsome!!! from the list of your critters, i would bet you do!
welcome..

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Very pretty Russian!! I have 3... No, wait, 4 now--just recently picked up a third female--Russians of my own. One of my favorites for sure.

Random tip: I've noticed my Russians' favorite hides seem to be the ones that are literally buried into the substrate. It comes in handy, too, because it saves floorspace--they can still walk around on top of the hide! My group is in a temporary pen right now 'til I can get their permanent built (keeps getting put off), so I arranged it so their primary hide is underneath the basking spot. Substrate is a good 10" deep, then on one side I dug a big hole, put in an old 2.5 gal water jug (one of those rectangular ones) with the front and one of the sides cut off (then turned so that side is the bottom), filled the dirt in around it, and dug the dirt at the front of it so it slopes down into the hide. Set a slate tile on top of the water jug, and voila! That much more floorspace for romping around. Been thinking about doing the same on the other side, under the water dish, so they can have two hiding places... Well, three--but none of them bother using that half log, so it doesn't count... :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice looking tortoise!
Great idea Taylor about creating the hides down under. You're right they like to be 'underneath'.

Status
Not open for further replies.