New User!

Status
Not open for further replies.

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!

I'm from the UK and have a small Horsefield Tortoise, not sure how old she is, called Princess Trevor (originally the name was for a boy, but I bought a girl). I love her to bits!

I keep her in a tortoise house, she has a warm area, a cool area and a separate bed with straw.

She eats lettuce mainly, weeds when I get them, carrots and sometimes cucumber (but not often).

Ever since I bought her, she has been rubbing her eyes, and sometimes I get home and she cant open her eyes at all! It's so upsetting knowing she cant see and is scared! I have bought an eye ointment for reptiles that the shop said was suitable for tortoises. I put that on when they get bad and she can then open them.

Does anybody have any advice or has anybody had this problem before?

Thanks,
Sarah

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

Eye problems can be caused by using one of those CFL (compact fluorescent light), by dry or inappropriate substrate, allergy and any number of other things. So, what kind of light and substrate do you use?

Also, you'll need to add a bit more variety to the diet. Mostly lettuce really isn't very good.

princess.tort

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne! :)

I use a 'pro rep' heat light fitted to a dome sort of thing!

I use top soil all around her tort house and straw for her bedding.

I've been researching different types of foods so I will go out and see what i can find :)

Also, do you have any idea of how old she might be from the picture?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376580714.444621.jpg

Thanks,
Sarah

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1376580673.522553.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376580673.522553.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.