New UVB Bulb. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJackrage

5 Year Member
Hey guys. Well fall is coming up here in a month and I can't keep Audrey outside anymore. I have a UV bulb, but I don't think it's a very good one. I think it could be hurting her too. Could you guys send me some links on recommended bulbs that you guys use in your enclosures? I'm aiming for a bulb I can fit in a lamp socket and hang over the tortoise table. Thanks guys.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
How large is Audrey?

If its a small one (less than 8") you could go with a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) for daytime basking, A lot of people like them, and the preferred brand is PowerSun. It comes in 100 watts and 160 watts. Make sure you use a thermometer or temp gun to ensure you're getting the right temps.

You want to maintain a somewhat constant temperature in the enclosure and not let it drop too much at night. I would suggest using a ceramic heat emitter bulb (CHE) for this, since they emit no visible light, only heat.
---------

To avoid having an unnecessary number of light fixtures, I use a CHE for heat that remains on 24/7 and a standard tube florescent bulb for UV, which is on for 12 hrs a day.

The MVBs have their merits in herpetoculture, but in light of recent studies, I personally do not feel they are adequate for anything but small tortoises. They are convenient because they are a two-in-one "combo" bulb, but that is a two-edged sword. You can't have it on at night, so you have to provide another heat source for night.

Whatever you do, do NOT use compact florescent bulbs (spiral-shaped, coil-shaped or otherwise). These have been known to cause blindness in tortoises, as well as bearded dragons.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ditto. I run my CHEs 24/7, but on a thermostat to hold the ambient temp where I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.