New Western Painted Turtle- except I don't know age.... help?

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all! I have recently adopted a Western Painted turtle out of a rescue situation where he was being mistreated. I brought him home and got him all set up in a appropriate size tank, the person that I got him from did not give me much information, but told me that he was just "lazy" and didn't do much. He also told me that the turtle was around 9 months old..

The turtle that I picked up is around 5 1/2 inches, is not lazy at ALL (need to mention that he was in a little tiny tank with about 5 inches of water, along with a 7 inch RES... so, so sad)
As soon as I got him home, he immediately started exploring, and acting the happiest I had seen him all day.

My question for y'all is... if he is 5 1/2 inches - then how could he be under 9 months old?

This is my first aquatic turtle species, but I keep tortoises, and am quite certain that this is not a 9 month old "baby" turtle.
So... is this turtle older or am I just crazy? Once again he is a male Western Painted Turtle. Does anyone happen to have a guesstament on about how old he is? Are we talking still a juvenile, or older? What do you guys think a good estaminet age would be to put for this guy?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello all! I have recently adopted a Western Painted turtle out of a rescue situation where he was being mistreated. I brought him home and got him all set up in a appropriate size tank, the person that I got him from did not give me much information, but told me that he was just "lazy" and didn't do much. He also told me that the turtle was around 9 months old..

The turtle that I picked up is around 5 1/2 inches, is not lazy at ALL (need to mention that he was in a little tiny tank with about 5 inches of water, along with a 7 inch RES... so, so sad)
As soon as I got him home, he immediately started exploring, and acting the happiest I had seen him all day.

My question for y'all is... if he is 5 1/2 inches - then how could he be under 9 months old?

This is my first aquatic turtle species, but I keep tortoises, and am quite certain that this is not a 9 month old "baby" turtle.
So... is this turtle older or am I just crazy? Once again he is a male Western Painted Turtle. Does anyone happen to have a guesstament on about how old he is? Are we talking still a juvenile, or older? What do you guys think a good estaminet age would be to put for this guy?
No way to really know but pretty much an adult at that size.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
My other question is, is he an older turtle - like a senior, or a young adult?
I have also found many contervisial ideas on their lifespan, some say 20 and some say even up to 50? Thought I would leave that one to the experts 🤣- what do you guys think?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Would really need a good picture of your turtle to assess general age, including a good picture of the tail.

As mentioned, a 5-1/2" male western painted should be at least a young adult. With good conditions and diet, it would normally be about 3 years to get to that size.

I have western painted turtles that I've hatched that are now over 25 years old. With better understanding of proper care, we are constantly learning and updating life expectancy on all chelonians. My estimate for painted turtles would be in the 35 - 60 year range with good care and environment in which to live.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Would really need a good picture of your turtle to assess general age, including a good picture of the tail.

As mentioned, a 5-1/2" male western painted should be at least a young adult. With good conditions and diet, it would normally be about 3 years to get to that size.

I have western painted turtles that I've hatched that are now over 25 years old. With better understanding of proper care, we are constantly learning and updating life expectancy on all chelonians. My estimate for painted turtles would be in the 35 - 60 year range with good care and environment in which to live.
Western Painted are native to the PNW...They are the coolest ever. Mine was found in a dumpster in a closed zip lock bag. Someone took him to the pet shop that buys my birds, and they called me and I was given what we all said was a mature adult turtle. He was 3 inches...that was 5 or so years ago...he is 4.5 inches now...He was very tame and personable when I got him. I adore the face and his eyes are so intelligent. Mine lives inside at100_1833.JPG..

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Western Painted are native to the PNW...They are the coolest ever. Mine was found in a dumpster in a closed zip lock bag. Someone took him to the pet shop that buys my birds, and they called me and I was given what we all said was a mature adult turtle. He was 3 inches...that was 5 or so years ago...he is 4.5 inches now...He was very tame and personable when I got him. I adore the face and his eyes are so intelligent. Mine lives inside atView attachment 341146..
Great looking turtle, Maggie. However, that is an midland painted turtle, which are quite a bit smaller than Western Painteds. Yours is pretty much the size of a full grown male for the Midland.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Alright guys! Here are some pictures of the new addition!!
There is a picture of his face, carpace, top of shell, tail, and side/claws.I hope that this can help get a better representation of his age!! (he is shedding right now as well)
I think he also has some extra scutes as well??

Attachments

• IMG_9148 2.JPG
    IMG_9148 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9149 2.JPG
    IMG_9149 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9150 2.JPG
    IMG_9150 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9151 2.JPG
    IMG_9151 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9152 2.PNG
    IMG_9152 2.PNG
    465.9 KB · Views: 3

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There is a picture of his face, carpace, top of shell, tail, and side/claws.I hope that this can help get a better representation of his age!! (he is shedding right now as well)
This is an adult Male.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is an adult Male.
Holy sh*t!!! Supposedly mine is a full grown adult male and mine is not 1/8th that big, and I'm just comparing her hand and the way she's holding this turtle.Here's my Western Painted...100_1882.JPGSee the difference?
100_1877.JPG
and now Y will tell me it's a female....just watch100_1878.JPG
100_1879.JPG
her's is a big turtle mine is not....wow

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Holy sh*t!!! Supposedly mine is a full grown adult male and mine is not 1/8th that big, and I'm just comparing her hand and the way she's holding this turtle.Here's my Western Painted...View attachment 341185See the difference?
View attachment 341186
and now Y will tell me it's a female....just watchView attachment 341187
View attachment 341188
her's is a big turtle mine is not....wow
@maggie3fan As I posted above - that is because yours is not a Western Painted. It is a Midland Painted. They are a smaller turtle. A male Midland will be about 3-1/2" to 4-1/2" max. A male Western Painted can be over 6".

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a beautiful Western Painted. Yes a few extra scutes, but shows absolutely no signs of improper care! Definitely an adult male. Has the look of a young adult - I would guess anywhere from 4 to 8 years old. Could be older - if he just shed that can contribute to the "younger" look.