Newbie and have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
België
Hi! I own two Testudo Graeca Marokkensis (Salsa & Squish)(Not the saharan types i believe) and after seeing a lot comments saying that two tortoises can be agresive to eachother.. well they seem to get along just fine! :D

-It often rains in belgium and i get worried to leave them outside since the´re small no more than 10-11cm thinking that could drown!!! and id like if someone would tell me if they may be outside or not :rolleyes: (note the terrain in their pen is irregular so its not flat at all....)

-I want to leave them outside day and night but i dont know about leaving them out at night, because im afraid that if my neighbor´s cat could harm them, also considering that they are foxes and porcupines that might do something too... and it can its cold by night

-Seeing of how my two tortoises ´get along´ i´d like to buy another one (hope its not a bad idea..) Would it be okay to buy another tortoise? not really a moroccan one but one that is also a Testudo or Testudo Graeca species, would that be okay? especially since im considering to let them live together..

-And the last question, how old could my tortoises be? I think the´re from the same mother and of the same age.. The´re no more than 10-11cm long, their Testudo Graeca Marokkensis if it helps

I would be very appreciated for an answer!! These are one of my biggest questions and doubt about owning my tortoises thanks!! :tort::D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Otto:

You don't say the sexes of your tortoises. Are they both female? I'm thinking that because they get along together, that might be the case. If you add in a male to the group then you most certainly will have more activity in the habitat. The male will be trying to breed the females all the time, but the 1 to 2 male/female ratio is an ok one to have.

If you have two males that just happen to get along and you add in another male, then they might start to fight. Whatever you do, don't add one female to two males. A death sentence for the female.

And, being a purist myself, I don't believe in mixing species in the same habitat...even sub-species.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You need a predator proof outdoor enclosure; lots of examples here on the forum.

Most keepers would advise against mixing species.

Keep an eye on housing the 2 together; can be a recipe for bullying causing one to be health compromised due to stress or improper nutrition if one dominates the feeding area.

Good luck.

Domino

5 Year Member
België
@Yvonne G thnx for the tip! :D
@WillTortoise, i cant put a predator proof enclosure since the plants there are too tall.. and i dont think that one of the tortoises dominate the feeding since the pen is big and eatable plants and weed everywhere :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Lowes has 14 foot long 2 x 4"s; build up to enclose the plants.

Sometimes you just have to be creative.

Or customize a wire grid top to allow the plant stems to extend above the top.

Safety is the number one priority.

Domino

5 Year Member
België
@WillTortoise Or if i ´lock´ em in their shelter? (shelter is made of dirt, wire grid and rocks) :) like putting my parents wouldnt approve putting a wire grid over the plants since the space of the tortoises is still for gardening not a special area for them :/

Status
Not open for further replies.