Newbie Attempt at Russian Tort Indoor Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

apjohnson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aurora, Colorado
I have taken a child's platform/storage unit measuring 72" L X 27.5 W X 15 " H and created a 3 compartment home for my 5.5 inch Russian Tortoise, Levi. I varied the substrates in each section. He has a UVB flourescent & basking lamp in the hotter area. Temps rang from 87-90 in the hotter area, down to 75-80 in the cooler area. He also gets ample time in my very large backyard during the day. Large lawn, outlined in gravel plus bark enclosures surrounding the trees. "hilly" terrain too. We limit it to days with our supervision because we have cats/dogs/rabbits and even raccoons that run thru the neighborhood so I'm concerned for his safety. I imagine in the winter his time will be permanently indoors so I would appreciate all feedback & critique to get his shelter running OPTIMALLY.

Attachments

• chateau_levi_blue.jpg
    chateau_levi_blue.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 129
  • chateau_levi_bask.jpg
    chateau_levi_bask.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 86
  • chateau_levi_cool.jpg
    chateau_levi_cool.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 80
  • chateau_levi_long.jpg
    chateau_levi_long.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 80
  • where_levi_summers.jpg
    where_levi_summers.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 71

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a nice big backyard for him to roam around!
What are the various substrates that you are using? What made you decide to separate the enclosure into thirds?

Also, I have a Russian and I do not plan on having him hibernate. It seems to be a somewhat debatable topic.

apjohnson

5 Year Member
Aurora, Colorado
ChiKat said:
What a nice big backyard for him to roam around!
What are the various substrates that you are using? What made you decide to separate the enclosure into thirds?

Also, I have a Russian and I do not plan on having him hibernate. It seems to be a somewhat debatable topic.

In the cooler area, I have coconut bark mixed with repti bark. In his hide box he has green felt designed for reptiles, on the basking side he has gravel from my backyard.

I actually intended to gut out the platform when I first got it. But then I decided later it made more sense to leave it compartmentalized and give him a sense of journeying from one place to another. The paneling makes it easier to attach the lights, etc. from as well.

Yeah we are about 4 days into this so it took me this long to figure out housing and feeding. I figure "to hibernate" or "not to hibernate" will be my next project with lil Levi! :)

spikethebest said:
Russian tortoises should hibernate for the winter. Do you have a plan for that?

Not yet; I'm about 4 days into tort ownership so I will definitely be seeking advice on how to do so if that's the best thing for him! We absolutely are smitten with this lil guy so we just want to do our part! ;)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OK, two things...the first is fake plants stuck down into the substrate for him to shelter/hide under (Taco LOVES hers and I need to get a couple more); the second is, where are the cute face and butt photos of Levi enjoying the tour of the new facility? ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ApJohnson:

Welcome to the forum!!

apjohnson

5 Year Member
Aurora, Colorado
Stephanie Logan said:
OK, two things...the first is fake plants stuck down into the substrate for him to shelter/hide under (Taco LOVES hers and I need to get a couple more); the second is, where are the cute face and butt photos of Levi enjoying the tour of the new facility? ;)

haha! yea I have a couple of those on my personal album. But, he is visible in the middle part of his home on two of the pics I put on this thread...they may have been too dark to notice him at first glance. :)

emysemys said:
Hi ApJohnson:

Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks Yvonne! I'm too excited to have found this forum online. There is just so much info and tips being shared, how encouraging for this newbie - let me tell ya! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.