Newbie eastern hermanns owner here can anyone give some suggestion

Jimbo0525

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I recently bought a hatchling eastern hermanns from tortstork and was just hoping some more experienced owners can help me out a little, I see mixed things on the diets I should feed him and I was also wondering what type of things/decor should I have in his cage other then a hide and a water/food dish

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Start here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

That link will answer most newbie (and not so new) questions about tortoise care.

Then go here for information and discussions specifically about Mediterranean tortoises (Hermanns, Greek, Russian, Marginated, and Egyptian):
https://tortoiseforum.org/categories/mediterranean-tortoises-genus-testudo.74/

Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have after you take a look there, as it's likely that most of your questions will be answered by those two links.

In addition to those links, The Tortoise Table is a fantastic resource for info about edible, inedible, and toxic plants for tortoises.

p.s. We love pictures of tortoises here!

Jimbo0525

Wisconsin
Thank you micheal, I read throw the links you sent and will definitely start picking wild plants for my fort to eat I just have a few questions.

1. What is a good humidity to shoot for for hatchling eastern hermanns

2. Is there a way to correct his pickiness I started out letting him get some samples of various leafy greens and he seemed to only really enjoy turnip greens and arugula but from what I’ve seen I know he can’t have arugula often and I want to get him started to eat other foods such as the wild ones I pick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently bought a hatchling eastern hermanns from tortstork and was just hoping some more experienced owners can help me out a little, I see mixed things on the diets I should feed him and I was also wondering what type of things/decor should I have in his cage other then a hide and a water/food dish
Try to feed mostly broadleaf weeds of the right types. Look for mulberry leaves, grape leaves, spineless opuntia, and many more. This is all explained in the care sheet.

Potted plants, logs and large rocks all make good decor. Also, put a flat rock of some sort under the heat lamp.

The care sheet:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. I like using a large flat rock also for my Russian as Tom said. They enjoy just sitting on one. It's so cute. We would love to see a picture of your tortoise. ,🤗

Jimbo0525

Wisconsin
Thank you micheal, I read throw the links you sent and will definitely start picking wild plants for my fort to eat I just have a few questions.

1. What is a good humidity to shoot for for hatchling eastern hermanns

2. Is there a way to correct his pickiness I started out letting him get some samples of various leafy greens and he seemed to only really enjoy turnip greens and arugula but from what I’ve seen I know he can’t have arugula often and I want to get him started to eat other foods such as the wild ones I pick.
Hello and welcome. I like using a large flat rock also for my Russian as Tom said. They enjoy just sitting on one. It's so cute. We would love to see a picture of your tortoise. ,🤗
2CC7A306-C9D8-49A8-B036-95BB181E9D22.jpeg
He’s a little hesitant of my phone but he’s been warming up to me and his new surroundings pretty well

Jimbo0525

Wisconsin
Try to feed mostly broadleaf weeds of the right types. Look for mulberry leaves, grape leaves, spineless opuntia, and many more. This is all explained in the care sheet.

Potted plants, logs and large rocks all make good decor. Also, put a flat rock of some sort under the heat lamp.

The care sheet:
Hi Tom, thanks for the pointers do you have a list or something if good houseplants to put in his setup as shade/decor my mother grows a ton of plants and is willing to let me borrow a couple to help out his cage

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, thanks for the pointers do you have a list or something if good houseplants to put in his setup as shade/decor my mother grows a ton of plants and is willing to let me borrow a couple to help out his cage
I have personal experience with pothos and spider plants. I think Boston fern is okay too, if I'm not confusing it with something else...

Jimbo0525

Wisconsin
I have personal experience with pothos and spider plants. I think Boston fern is okay too, if I'm not confusing it with something else...
It’s not related to this specifically but is it alright to feed my hatchling fruits I seen somewhere that I should hold off until adulthood but it would be great to know otherwise!

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
I have an Eastern Hermanns also. My understanding is that this type should not be fed fruit at all or even sweeter vegetables. It is a broad leaf weed eater.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s not related to this specifically but is it alright to feed my hatchling fruits I seen somewhere that I should hold off until adulthood but it would be great to know otherwise!
What species? If you have a fruit eating species like a red foot, then yes. If you have a Testudo, it should never be fed fruit. Not as a baby or an adult.