Newbie fostering sick sully

Tortugal

[attachment=70650

Hello all... I am fostering my first sully in SoCal. He is 9yrs old, 32lbs and has a pseudamonas infection. I am learning so much on this forum and hope to help him get well and back to health ASAP. I will be posting more about his health in the other forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 50

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Well he certainly is a nice looking sulcata. I am looking forward to hearing more about his health issues (but not glad he has them). How did you end up as his foster?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello and welcome! We are interested in hearing more about him and the progress he is making with you.ow long have you had him?

Tortugal

I tried to write his background in the health section, but I don't see it posted yet. I live in Ventura, CA. I have had him a few weeks. I work at a vet clinic and we had never seen him before but the clients called asking for prices on euthanasia. After inquiring more, turns out there was a salmonella scare with a child, he was showing uri signs and they needed him gone ASAP. They said a few rescues turned them down so they wanted him put to sleep. I offered to take him in and get him treated because he deserved a second chance. The vet did a nasal swab culture and fecal culture both positive for pseudamonas and he also has pinworms. No salmonella grew on the cultures either. He is currently on oral antibiotics and nasal drops. He wasn't handled much so it's been a challenge winning his trust with a cactus pad and then upsetting him with a nose drop!

sam1989

Aww the world needs more awesome people like yourself! I hope he gets better!.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am so glad you saved him! You came to the right place. I look foward to updates on the recovery.

Tortugal

Thank you for the warm welcome! I just made him a panacur sandwich (powder in-between a sliced cactus pad) for lunch and he ate with gusto. He has 2 weeks of antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) left and I will update as we go along.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392499012.944947.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1392498981.903634.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1392498981.903634.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
He is so, So, So lucky to have you. You have a very kind heart. May God Bless two of you.

Looking forward to the update and Welcome.