Newbie here

JDG

Location (City and/or State)
Gatineau, Québec
Hello, tortoise newbie here.

My son (12yo) wanted a tortoise so after much consideration, we went for a hatchling Hermann. After a month with us, I must say the whole family is amazed. It’s growing fast (35g) and seems pretty happy, eats a lot, seems to enjoy its enclosure and daily soak. My son would be posting himself if he’d be more fluent in English. As a familly we have experience with cats, dogs, birds, parrots, rodents and turtles. We curently share our home with an old Maine coon and a young parrot. Each with its own caretaker and dedicated space. Our home has central air with filtration, central humidifier and uv air sanitizer. Interior is 50-55% humidity and 21-23C all year long.

It’s the first time we house a tortoise, so please, any advices will be welcome.

See you around,

J-D

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

My son (12yo) wanted a tortoise so after much consideration, we went for a hatchling Hermann. After a month with us, I must say the whole family is amazed. It’s growing fast (35g) and seems pretty happy, eats a lot, seems to enjoy its enclosure and daily soak. My son would be posting himself if he’d be more fluent in English. As a familly we have experience with cats, dogs, birds, parrots, rodents and turtles. We curently share our home with an old Maine coon and a young parrot. Each with its own caretaker and dedicated space. Our home has central air with filtration, central humidifier and uv air sanitizer. Interior is 50-55% humidity and 21-23C all year long.

It’s the first time we house a tortoise, so please, any advices will be welcome.

See you around,

J-D
I'm hoping your tortoise has his own enclosure with heat, ubv and the correct humidity. Please don't let him roam on your house floor, that's very dangerous. Otherwise...welcome and please feel free to ask any questions...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome aboard the greatest tortoise site around!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Does your tortoise have a name?

JDG

Gatineau, Québec
I'm hoping your tortoise has his own enclosure with heat, ubv and the correct humidity. Please don't let him roam on your house floor, that's very dangerous. Otherwise...welcome and please feel free to ask any questions...
Hello,
Yes, full enclosure with heat, uvb and daily humidity boost. The picture was on the dîner table, after daily bath, closely watched by the 4 of us.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Read the caresheets on herrmans here on the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

See you around,

J-D
Hello and welcome.

Start here: