Newbie Horsfield!

Samie

Hi,
we have decided to get a horsefield, neither of us have ever owned one before .
My partner is making the table today but i just had a quick question about the bulb. from my reserch i believe i need a UVA/UVB bulb.

the below is the cheapest i have managed to find, any better suggestions or advise?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pets-Arcadi...8367096&sr=1-2&keywords=uva+uvb+tortoise+bulb

we are based in Basildon Essex if you know of any good breeders too

also a week after we aim to buy the tortoise we are going away, he is 1 yr old, will he be safe in a car for a few hours in a box with nesting? any travel advise?

thank you :)

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Samie welcome from another UK member.
I use the Arcadia Mini D3 Mercury vapour Bulb (MVB) this gives heat light and uvb in one bulb - very easy to use.
Got mine from Pets at Home £39 for 80W . That is housed in a wide dome shade/hood with a ceramic bulb holder (£25 at the Range)For night heat which we need in UK, I use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE - also in a wide dome hood) on a thermostat which turns it on and off to stop it getting too hot or cold and only gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep. Both also from the Range £22 and £35 respectively and another £25 for the wide dome. Don't waste money on expensive water dishes - a shallow terracotta plant saucer will be easier and safer for it to get in and out of..
Horsefields (or Russians) like a lot of space so make the enclosure as big as possible or he will spend all his time trying to get out, and one with a cover to keep heat and humidity in maybe best. have a look at the Enclosures thread for lots of good ideas.
There is a good caresheet in the Species Specific section which will give good advice on diet substrate temps humidity etc.
As for travelling - torts don't like change but I think I read that if you travel at night it won't be too stressful - and he will need to be warm for the while journey.
It's great you are planning ahead so that you have everything ready before he arrives as babies are quite vulnerable so you don't have much room for error with temps etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California