newbie needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
GEDC0030.JPGhiya,about a week ago I bought 2 spur thighed tortoises ,my daughter needed a pet for her A level studies ,she originally wanted a rabbit,but as everyone knows tortoises are easy to keep as you only have to give them a lettuce leaf a couple of times a week ,big mistake lol,ok, so 2 torts and about £600 later i need advice about the additives you have to give,i have nutrobal,but on the label it says 1 normal pinch per kilo,my torts weigh 18grams and 15 gram so how do i convert a normal pinch to the amount of food i give them,also do i have to give them calcium powder and limestone or just 1 of them and how often and how much.I can't beleive that for 30 years i've been trying to get rid of dandelions and now i'm growing them in my kitchen lol

Last edited by a moderator:

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hi! Welcome to the forum :) I'll let the experts chime in on this, but I'm totally curious--what exactly is "A level studies?" I'm only asking because it sounds like it's something related to school, and it seems odd, to me at least, that a school would require that someone to take on a pet... ?????????

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes, why would any study require a pet? That doesn't seem ethical at all. Pets require life-long dedication.

And my god, 600 pounds for 2 torts for her studies? That's almost $1000 USD. I think you got ripped on that deal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Pepsi and Jack!

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Welcome!!

I have never heard of using limestone before but I use calcium powder. You use calcium powder with D3 if they don't go outside and without D3 if they get to be outside in natural sunlight. I sprinkle some on my torts food twice a week.

Congrats on two new babies! :D

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Q said:
Welcome!!

I dont think those are spur thighed tortoises. Those are some sort of Mediterranean species. Maybe Hermann or Marginated tortoise. I have never heard of using limestone before but I use calcium powder. You use calcium powder with D3 if they don't go outside and without D3 if they get to be outside in natural sunlight. I sprinkle some on my torts food twice a week.

Mediterranean owners will let you know the species for sure but welcome again and congrats on two new babies! :D

I thought when I first read it, she meant African Spur Thigh, like Sulcata, and I panicked. However, after thinking for a second, I seem to recall in the UK it is common for Greeks (I think) to be called spur-thigh, or spurred, or something like that...

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Tortus said:
Yes, why would any study require a pet? That doesn't seem ethical at all. Pets require life-long dedication.

And my god, 600 pounds for 2 torts for her studies? That's almost $1000 USD. I think you got ripped on that deal.

Does seem a lot but that was with the table, lights,and basically everything that was needed,she had to have a pet to study for her science exam,has to weigh them and measure them weekly,things like that,she didn't have to buy a pet,she could have used a neighbours or friends but we couldn't resist these 2 when we saw them

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
View attachment The Tortoise Lady - Calcium & Limestone Flour.htmView attachment The Tortoise Lady - Calcium & Limestone Flour.htm
Q said:
Welcome!!

I have never heard of using limestone before but I use calcium powder. You use calcium powder with D3 if they don't go outside and without D3 if they get to be outside in natural sunlight. I sprinkle some on my torts food twice a week.

Congrats on two new babies! :D

I read about it on another site,it's limestone flour,but theres so much conflicting information around i thought i had better check first

Last edited by a moderator:

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
"Calcium" is a metal, highly reactive in pure form LOL! Of course, our tortoises use calcium carbonate= limestone. The same substance in the hard shell of reptile and bird eggs, only different in their crystal form- aragonite or calcite. Supplements with/without vitamins are based on fine limestone powder.
Dust their food 1-2 times a week, will be enough. And be very careful, these animals are life-long partners, not very good for school projects. They can easily outlive us and our kids. All tortoises are protected species, they are poached, eaten, their habitat is disappearing fast, so even CB, they are precious animals to be respected. Not too easy, but not difficult as well. Welcome to the club :)!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
pepsiandjac said:
Tortus said:

Does seem a lot but that was with the table, lights,and basically everything that was needed,she had to have a pet to study for her science exam,has to weigh them and measure them weekly,things like that,she didn't have to buy a pet,she could have used a neighbours or friends but we couldn't resist these 2 when we saw them

Oh, ha ha, that makes way more sense now. Torts are definitely irresistible!!

Status
Not open for further replies.